Another backyard find, any ideas?

AGL

20 minutes ago, AGL said:

Will do next time. I’d never heard of lactarius species, just spent some time studying it. Seems like some of them are good edibles. Thanks man.

Yeah, I've had some that were pretty good.  Hopefully you find another!

Some species of Lactarius (or the related genus Lactifluus) will cause illness. There are lots of different species included, and IDing them requires learning to pay attention to things like: color of latex, whether the latex changes color, staining reactions, taste, odor, gill spacing, type of gill attachment...

22 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Some species of Lactarius (or the related genus Lactifluus) will cause illness. There are lots of different species included, and IDing them requires learning to pay attention to things like: color of latex, whether the latex changes color, staining reactions, taste, odor, gill spacing, type of gill attachment...

Amazing, thanks Dave. Definitely good points to research. I assume latex is what you call the milky substance?

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Yep, the liquid/milk that oozes out of the Lactarius/Lactifluus mushroom. In some cases --and often for some particular species-- the amount of latex is slight or maybe almost none. 

You made me go through a rabbit hole, found this interesting article on Lactifluus https://foragerchef.com/lactarius-volemus/

Nice recipe included.

The recipe linked above is specifically for the species Lactifluus volemus. The  mushrooms seen in this post are not Lactifluus volemus. Maybe some other Lactifluus species or a species of Lactarius. Some of these types are bitter/acrid and/or sickeners. There's an entire 290 page field guide devoted to these types, Milk Mushrooms of North America

Like many other genera of mushroom species Lactarius is indeed a "rabbit hole", or maybe better described as a labyrinth. With few exceptions, learning to ID wild mushrooms is complicated. 

Just 290?? Haha. Indeed a labyrinth. The only wild mushrooms I’ve felt comfortable with is chanterelles and ganodermas here in GA. But I’m definitely looking to expand on that. Again, this forum has been invaluable.