Shaggy Manes

It's hard to mistake shaggies from other Coprinus sp. due to their marked size and shaggy appearance. I could see where someone could mistake them when they are over-mature and turning black, but you wouldn't want to eat them at that stage anyway. As far as Mica caps, I find massive fruitings of them every Spring during morel hunts at the base of primo looking dead elms. I'm always disappointed when I find them, because I've never seen morels fruit off an elm that has the Mica fungus. I've heard they are watery and pretty tasteless anyway, has anyone here eaten them?

interesting, I have observed the some thing about mica caps on elms = no morels I always smell them as I'm walking up to the tree. the smell has kept me away from eating them. not pleasing IMO. I usually see them around elms just a little past prime. and around cut off stumps.

• 10 months later...

I posted a series of pictures on my blog that I took of a couple of Shaggy Mane mushrooms from the early egg like stage, all the way to it's inky demise. Take a look if you're interested. I've only ever found a couple at a time, so haven't ever tried eating them yet, but they seem to come up in the same spot now for the 3 years I have been at this location hiking the mountains behind where I live.

Shaggy Mane wild mushroom pictures

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Luigi,

Those appear to be Shaggy Manes, hands down. I've always been a bit surprised by the comparisons made to Alcohol Inkcaps (Corprinus atramentarius), as I don't think they much resemble, at least until they both turn into inky goo. I guess it's because I found and identified the Alcohol Inkcaps first. Once you see them, as well, you'll see how different the two are. On that note, as long as I have stayed away from booze for a few days, even the Alcohol Inkcaps have been good. Being broke helps in that area!! I also saute them up for my father, as he is a total tee-totaler, and he loves them. Has anyone heard that the Alcohol Inkcaps are in anyway dangerous if consumed by those who don't drink? I've even heard of some uber-sensitive folks having a reaction with the Shaggy Manes in connection with alcohol. I just figure that where the Coprinus family is concerned, it's just best to forgo the booze for a few days. Not a problem in a dry county where I am surrounded by Baptist friends whom I don't like to offend!!

By the by, Shroomsgonewild, those pictures are great. Very helpful.

Hey Luigi,

Those appear to be Shaggy Manes, hands down. I've always been a bit surprised by the comparisons made to Alcohol Inkcaps (Corprinus atramentarius), as I don't think they much resemble, at least until they both turn into inky goo. I guess it's because I found and identified the Alcohol Inkcaps first. Once you see them, as well, you'll see how different the two are. On that note, as long as I have stayed away from booze for a few days, even the Alcohol Inkcaps have been good. Being broke helps in that area!! I also saute them up for my father, as he is a total tee-totaler, and he loves them. Has anyone heard that the Alcohol Inkcaps are in anyway dangerous if consumed by those who don't drink? I've even heard of some uber-sensitive folks having a reaction with the Shaggy Manes in connection with alcohol. I just figure that where the Coprinus family is concerned, it's just best to forgo the booze for a few days. Not a problem in a dry county where I am surrounded by Baptist friends whom I don't like to offend!!

By the by, Shroomsgonewild, those pictures are great. Very helpful.

Thanks so much!

• 3 years later...

I collected spores for Shaggy Mane mushrooms. I am trying to start some indoors as well put spore outdoors on a grassy area prone to being moist and will top it up with some horse compost. I'm assuming it needs a lower temp. Does anyone know how long it takes for it to form mycelium?