I found my way back

Hi guys. I used to visit here, then my browser got old and gave me fits and wouldn't jive with this site so I couldn't access it. Now I'm using the Chrome browser and it works, and it feels good to be back.

Anyway, I don't see any threads or pictures of chanterelles. I know it hasn't been a good year for them here in western Pa because we got no rain when we really needed it, but I kind of expected to log on and see that someone somewhere was having better luck than we are, but no chant pictures? 

Eventually we got a few days of rain and I made one last trip for them and found a few last weekend.

Anyway, I'm way behind on enjoying shroom eye candy so feel free to use this thread to post any pics of your recent finds, whatever they are.

2020-08-03 16.34.48.jpg

Good to see ya back Staveshaver!!! Beautiful chantys ya have there !! Shaving any staves lately ? I still haven’t made the switch to stick and string. I’m shooting a compound for the third year. Doing ok. Big choke last year on a bruiser but ya can’t beat them all. Rookie mistake. Lowered my bow down seconds too early 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤢🤢 

Nice haul! 

Weird coincidence. I am in NEPA. I went for a hike today not expecting much. Pushed my way far into the bush and up a mountain side. Started gathering some chanterelles here and there on the mountain slope. Didn’t think much of it. Got to the top and noticed a large meadow in the middle of nowhere. Most of the mountain side was conifer forest. This meadow was all white oak and a few hickory and ash. As I approached I noticed bright orange/yellow glow of what could only be chanterelles. This turned out to be the largest fruiting of chanterelles I have ever seen. An area about the size of a football field. Thousands of chanterelles! Every tree had a few dozen under them. Unfortunately most were about a week or so past prime. But I damn sure marked the spot on the GPS for next year. Never seen anything like it. Was like being in a dream. Still came home with probably 4 lbs. I didn’t know smooth chants got that big. Some caps the size of my hand! 

Goes to show sometimes you just get lucky. I did well on chants this season but about a month ago. Figured it was pretty much over. 

Can’t wait for the hens to start showing up. After last year I’m hoping for a good hen season. 

Yeah Cajun, I'm working on the snakiest piece of osage I've ever seen. Gonna sinew back it, then put copperhead skins on the limbs and snapping turtle skin on the grip. I don't know if I'll get it done in time for this hunting season, but maybe.

Foulhook, that sounds like an awesome day. I live in Butler county and have a camp up in Potter. Your story makes me think of a spot way up on top of the mountain next to my camp, and I've never checked it for chants. If I go up there next weekend, I may crawl up there and check. Like you said, even if you find them too old this year, there's always next year. I'm about an hour north of the elk area in Benezette, but there are lots of elk around camp this year. Saw a huge bull last week with two smaller ones.

I find chants by oaks, but more around hickories.

• 1 month later...