Sign in to follow this  
Jacobreynolds89

Chanterelle?

Hello all, I've recently moved to Minneapolis MN area and while out exploring the woods and fishing I came across what was a large mushroom to me! I would say the cap was roughly 6.5 inches in diameter. I snapped some photos, then started seeing more of the same type just slightly smaller. I began thinking maybe they were edible and maybe foraging could become a new hobby for me here. I researched online and think they may be Chanterelle which seems to be a mushroom people like to eat and cook with. Since I've never foraged in my life I thought I should confirm before I end up killing myself. Attached some photos I snapped, please enlighten me! Thank you :)

20200730_183455.jpg

20200730_183503.jpg

20200730_183528.jpg

This is not a chanterelle.  Might be a Lactarius sp.  Was it growing under an oak tree?  I see oak leaves.  Looks similar to L. alnicola, but that is mostly a Western US species, with some reported from Michigan.

Remember, if you yourself can't identify a mushroom 100%, you should never consider it to be edible.