Mushroom identification

Jared

Found this on a hike in Washington state in a forest full of pine, fir, birch, and beech. I believe this is an old pine stump. The first two pictures are of a mushroom that’s a tad old and wrinkled, but the last three are of one mushroom that was still moist and fresh (the oval shaped one). I have no guesses unfortunately. Wasn’t able to get a spore print on any of them either

2EB457CC-D584-49D6-B602-69B1A8272D2E.jpeg

5C3513D2-3020-4C46-8B01-868D19534881.jpeg

A31D4899-B940-4A4C-8E51-A9583A40FA7B.jpeg

9A796BF7-0B85-42F7-A088-60A3C8C12A68.jpeg

478EC69E-AA9A-477A-8198-3A5C3B48E392.jpeg

101BCFA6-0182-4939-B54C-EB966C58AFA8.jpeg

9AEFA138-4E31-48E6-A12F-F68AE7EFB1E8.jpeg

Looks like Neolentinus ponderosus.  The gills look sawtoothed, and the cap and coloration fit, as well as being on conifer.

They can get pretty large.

https://mushroomobserver.org/218421?q=1LQGf

Now that I look over the pictures I believe you are right. Thank you! Only one was rather fresh, the other were almost in a “dried” stage from the dry heat we’ve been having lately. I’ll have to look out for them next time. Thanks!

Wikipedia lists them as a good edible when young, however they’re still edible while old, just tough. Can somebody confirm that?

Hi Dave, N. lepideus does occur here.  I initially discounted it due to cap and color, but after looking at some other pics it does seem to match pretty good.  Off center stem narrowing to the base.

I once ate the cap of N. lepideus when the mushroom was young/fresh. It was okay, nothing special. I think one problem with this species may be that the mushroom tends to remain in-situ for a long time. I once watched one growing for well over a month on a pine stump along a road where I drive to work. Edible qualities tend to deteriorate as a mushroom ages.