Under the birch

In 1991 I was a 21 year old field assistant working on a Geological Survey of Canada mapping program out of Norman Wells, NWT. First time in the north. We had some Russian scientists working with us for a while and one day they brought back a bag of edible mushrooms that they had collected in the field. The Russia word for these mushrooms meant “under the birch” . I never did find out the English or Latin name. I made a soup with them after drying them in the oven. It was delicious. Does anyone know the name of these mushrooms? Would love some help so I can relive this memory. 
thanks,

Jeff 

Do you remember what they looked like?  Leccinum scabrum comes to mind, and it is often dried.  They are harvested across Europe, including Russia, and one of it's names is the Birch Bolete since it only grows with birch.

I have a couple gallons dried, in the kitchen now.

Hi Jeff, unfortunately there are numerous edible mushrooms that grow by birch trees....and there are many poisonous ones as well. Without a better description or the actual Russian slang term it would be very difficult to pin down. However, given the location they are most likely to be leccinums or honey mushrooms. Did they have gills under the cap like a store bought mushroom?