Ustilago maydis

Jared

Yeah according to the research I’ve done, it seems to be a diamond in the rough. I’ve heard it’s a great edible, maybe it’s not popular because it looks like mold. I’m very curious as to how to get my hands on fresh stuff

Although Ustilago maydis is considered to be an excellent edible (never tried it) I would advise against attempts to cultivate, especially in close proximity to farms where corn is grown. This fungus is a parasite that may cause significant damage to corn crops. In the United States one may want to contact the USDA for advice related to introducing U. maydis into an ecosystem. 

In Eastern Washington it pops up randomly in the corn fields.  I grew a couple of acres of sweet corn several years ago, in a field that had never had corn grown in it, at least not since the early 60's, and I had a small scattered percentage of plants infected by it.  Lots of corn grown in the area, so spores happen...

If you do attempt to grow it, you have to time the harvest just right.  Sweet corn ripe at the same time as the huitlacoche has a great combination flavor.  But over ripe smut is gritty and powdery, and not edible.

They do sell cans and jars of it, if you want to try it.

In areas of Mexico, you are saddened if your corn is NOT infected with it... 

2 hours ago, Jared said:

Yeah I was wondering if it’s possible to cultivate indoors, and I’m several miles away from any commercial corn fields. 

I guess the issues of growing it indoors would be: 

1.  Ensuring the corn is Inoculated with the fungi.  

2.  Pollinizing the corn to ensure ear formation.  Corn is wind pollinated, which is why it's best to plant in clusters instead of a single row.  You can pollinate with a brush or by shaking...

3.  Growing corn indoors.  

Were you going to use a greenhouse?  Keep us informed of your progress!

I don’t know, I didn’t know you needed full grown corn plants to get the fungus to grow. I am gonna try using a greenhouse to grow my own mushrooms, what setup would you recommend to a beginner that’s trying to grow simple things like oysters or lions mane? I heard you can use clear Rubbermaid containers with holes drilled in them and a simple room humidifier. I have a steam humidifier but it seems like it gets too hot to grow mushrooms with. Any suggestions?

Milton Tam from PSMS came up with a simple method of growing oysters, which we've also had luck growing lions manes with.

It involves using Yesterdays News Kitty Litter (Unused and unscented!), small alfalfa feed pellets, non-chlorinated water and the mushroom spawn.

https://namyco.org/docs/grow_oyster_mushrooms_on_kitty_litter_illustrated.pdf

The newspapers bags are available on the big auction website, by the hundreds.

There are cool mist humidifiers available.  I use one for my oyster mushroom bags.  I set up a big metal rack and tented it with a heavy clear plastic sheet to contain the humidity.  The rubbermaid containers work, just make sure you have circulation all around.

I have eaten Ustilago maydis (corn smut) years ago, at a breakfast buffet, when in Mexico. I wasn't too excited about it, but it wasn't terrible. I recall it seeming dry and chalky.

Jared, check this site, if in growing smut , good luck.

https://mycognosis.com/cultivating-corn-smut-ustilago-maydis/