Just wanted to introduce myself.

John Smalldridge

Hi, my name is John. I'm new to this forum but not new to searching out mushrooms. I got interested in mushrooms several years ago when the wild mushrooms as gourmet food took off. Being of limited means and not having a market near that even sold true wild mushrooms led me to start learning how to identify and find my own. This new hobby fit right in with my other outdoor interests. My other hobbies are fishing, hunting, kayaking, learning primitive skills and foraging for wild edibles. I live near the central coast of N.C. I hope to meet other mushroom enthusiasts from N.C. and learn from the other members of this forum.

Hi John, youll find a number of tarheels here but it's a long state. What general area of NC?

We have all those interests in common, though at70 I fear my whitewater kayaking days are over.

John, welcome from another North Carolinian. We are located just a few exits south of Raleigh off I-40 and Hwy 42. Look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge of NC mushrooms.

Sounds like we've take similar paths. Started off surf fishing while at NC State that evolved into near and offshore fishing when I could afford my own boat. After a subscription to Mother Earth News in the 2005 time frame we decided to grow as much of our food as possible. That led to honey bees, then fruit trees and berries and then shitake mushroom logs. Last fall was my first attempt at forging for mushrooms. Very interested in what you find closer to the coast.

Don't know how I missed that line about the coast. Coastwx I have no bees now but used to claim 50,000 head of livestock in one good hive. Until this year I've run a pick-your-own orchard of peaches and plums, so I plant bee crops, mostly buckwheat.

John, did you catch the picture of mushrooms growing in deep sand?

Thanks for the nice welcome. Coastwx, I look for oysters in winter, morels in April, chanterelles in June-August, black trumpets in July-Sept.,and various others during the summer and fall. My spring morel hunts usually only yield a few mushrooms. Hunter, I saw your tree ear photos and just happened to find some the same day.