Chanterelle growth rate

PSR

I found a nice little patch of about 30 (at least I think/hope they're Chanterelle ) popping up out of some moss on the edge of a creek in the Florida panhandle.  They are quite small - some as small as the tip of a pencil. This spot had a good 3-4" of rainfall over the period of about a week and this picture was taken a day after the last rainfall. I re-visited the same spot 2 days later and there was not a noticeable difference in size. Daytime temp over the next 2 weeks will be in the high 80's with a chance of rain almost daily.

Online searching on this topic returns answers ranging anywhere from 2-3 days after rainfall to up to 90 days before they are ready to harvest.  Clearly I will find out myself by watching these grow, but I was hoping you guys might be able to set my expectations.  Thank you! 

Chanty_1.jpg

Chanty_2.jpg

In Northwest Ontario, leaving Chanterelles works especially if it rains. I've seen button sized specimens grow to 3+inches across within a week of heavy rain.

The same does not apply to Boletes like Porcinis. Yes they quickly grow bigger but every extra day gives more time for little white worms to infest them, or mice and squirrels to chew them. I pick Boletes as soon as I find them.

For some reason, rodents and insects are not attracted to Chanterelles

I am not sure about Florida, but in the Mid-Atlantic chanterelles get devoured by bugs almost instantaneously, anything large is almost definitely bug riddled. Harvesting them quickly is necessary as a result.  

Thanks for the feedback. Went out today and not much has changed. A couple had doubled in size because I assume the tiny valley they live in gets more water drainage, but the others had maybe a 0% increase in size, while others appeared to be dying.  I'll wait another month before returning. 

If you make it back before the month is done, you might pick one and get some good pics.  That way you can verify if they are chanterelles or something else.  They may be a type of mushroom that doesn't grow any bigger, too...

On 7/12/2020 at 8:15 AM, PSR said:

I found a nice little patch of about 30 (at least I think/hope they're Chanterelle ) 

More evidence would be necessary to confidently discuss the ID of these little yellow guys. As mentioned above, most species of Cantharellus (chanterelles) left in-situ will continue to grow for weeks. But there are similar yellow mushrooms that are just plain small.

Cantharellus minor is a chanterelle with a thin stalk and cap width that tops out at about 1.5 cm. Little yellow waxcap mushrooms include Gloioxanthomyces nitidus and species of genus Gliophorus. The former looks quite a bit like a small chanterelle. 

Given the amount of rainfall mentioned, I think chanterelles (except for C. minor) would expand over a relatively short period of time.