Rain Hike Today!

As some of you may know, California has been in a drought for sometime now.The rains have come though, and as a crucial part of our mushroom hunting season and mycology overall, I do hope they continue! Today I was able to locate some Earthstars, as well as waterlogged Turkey Tail ( No tea for me :[ ). I did notice some younger looking Turkey Tail developing. Hopefully some more specimens will begin to fruit! Happy hunting to everyone! :rain:

post-667-0-64499000-1391727057_thumb.jpg

Hello CloudyCrow. That's a beautiful photo of the earthstar. Do you think it's an example of Geastrum?... Maybe G. floriforme? The rays are not aerolate (cracked surface) as in Astraeus hygrometricus.

I've been hearing quite a bit about the prolonged dry conditions prevalent throughout much of California, and now the recent forecast for heavy rainfall. My experience has been that it takes awhile for the fungi to recover from a drought. Looking forward to seeing more of what pops in your California woods. Isn't it the time of year when your morels typically occur?

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. Thank you also for the compliment on the photo. Unfortunately, I was unable to spend as much time as I desired studying the Earthstars I saw, however I do believe they may have been of Geastrum descent. As for our conditions, I am very hopeful that the rains arrived in time for a good season. The Bay Area (where I live) has been particularly dry this year. Over Thanksgiving, I was able to head North where I found some spots were all ready fruiting many different varieties of fungi. The two species I noticed the most of were Pluteus cervinus (as you can see in my profile picture) and Hypholoma fasciulare. With spring just around the corner, I am sure morel season will be starting soon. As a rookie to mycology though, I think I will stick to studying morels this year. I notice you have"Boletus Forum Freak" above your name! I am concerned that the rains may be too late for a healthy Bolete season in my area, do you think that may be the case?

Again,thanks for replying Dave!

The "Boletus Forum Freak" moniker is simply an indication that I have made lots of posts here on WM. As for predicting the Boletus crop across California this year... I have no actual experience with seasonal fruitings of boletes in CA. But I suspect that it is early enough in the year for west coast boletes to begin to recover from a prolonged drought. A couple solid months of above average precipitation could make a difference. CC, when do you usually expect to collect spring boletes in your area?