Russula?

Dimi

Hi, I’m new to this forum.  I hunted mushrooms a lot growing up in Eastern Europe.  This mushroom I just saw by a stream in western MA.  I suspect this is one of the many in Russula variety.  It looks very similar to the ones from my childhood.

DCCE8CB7-EC31-47FB-9160-7FBD36A5382A.jpeg

7E31CD62-DFD6-4E06-87A2-92653C19A00C.jpeg

I agree. Russula sp.  There are a lot of discussion on this forum about russulas if you do a search. Which one are identifiable and which not so much, which are edible and which are better to stay away.

The Russula species from (sub)section foentula (have string odors of Maraschino cherries and/or garbage) should not be eaten. They contain a toxin. Most of these types have sticky caps, occasionally with small pimples and grooves along the margin.

Also, the ones with flesh/gills that stain red, red-to-black, or just black should not be eaten. Some people eat the brightly-colored acrid-tasting ones after par-boiling. But I do not recommend these types as food.

Russula is a very large genus. Most species are difficult to ID and microscopy+Meltzer's reagent is usually required. A few species can be IDed according to morphology. IDing Russula mushrooms in the field requires smelling and tasting (nibble/spit/rinse). 

Thank you for all responses!  The cap was not sticky, and it did not have much of an odor.   And it was edible (as my mushroom picking neighbors had advised me before me boiling it) :)   Very mild pleasant taste. 

I plan to join a local mushroom picking group to learn more about edible varieties locally.