Witch's eggs?

Southeast louisiana - Picked up one of these initially thinking it was a puffball.  Looked inside a decaying log in same area and found quite a few more.  Two had small "roots" attached.  Cut them open and there was a semi- gelatinous, brownish mass inside.  Ive seen witch's eggs before, but you can usually see a tan gelatinous layer as well as outline of small stinkhorn.  Any ideas?      

20200625_165319.jpg

20200625_165307.jpg

20200625_165126.jpg

20200625_165259.jpg

20200625_130726.jpg

Looks along the lines of a false truffle.  Not familiar with these too much, but it reminds me of Hysterangium crassirhachis.  Don't know if these grow in your area with your trees, but something to start with...

Interesting. I think Mushroom Whisperer is on the right track here. I don't know what these are. But, it would not surprise me if they are something that a squirrel --or other similar rodent-- dug up and stored inside the log. There's a cord attached to the base on some of them. Were the cords anchored inside the log, or just hanging freely? 

Id say mushrooms whisperers i.d. most closely resembles this find than anything else ive seen.  There are some notable differences of the inside spore mass as i look at pictures online of Hysterangium crassirhachis .   It is certainly very close, however

The ones with the cords/roots were anchored to the ground right outside of the log.  As i tried to pick it up, i felt resistance as the cords were pulling up from the compacted soil.  None of them were covered in soil.  The last picture shows exactly how i found first one on ground outside of log.