Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Hoover

Not many mushrooms but some interesting ones

Had a club walk last weekend. Didn’t find a lot of mushrooms, given the time of year and as dry as it has been. But three species, in my opinion, were extremely interesting.

We had three rooted collybia (Xerula furfuracea).  It’s amazing how long the roots are on these. Thank goodness someone knew what they were picking, as I certainly didn’t get the root when I scooped out the one I found.

One person found a huge mushroom, close to dinner plate size, but it was well past prime. It was identified as a Train Wrecker (Neolentinus lepideus).  Interesting history on those!

And I found a Dyer’s polypore (Phaeolus schweinitzii).  Never looked into dying clothes with mushrooms before. The club officers asked if they could keep it, which was fine with me.  I suspect it will end up in the hands of Arleen Bessette. She was scheduled to do a dyeing presentation at our (cancelled) foray this year. This is a very distinctive polypore and I’ll be on the lookout for it from now on.