Anything worth hunting now?

In a good year...frequent rains, that is....in between Morels and Chanterelles we can get Tipplers Bane (C. atramentaria), Oysters and bit after those some early summer boletes.

Thank you Camille! Same here. Nothing much popping up at the moment. I guess I’ll be fly fishing until they do. 

You’re in my home state. I was born in Rolla MO. Spent summers at my grandmothers on lake of the ozarks. First time I ever hunted morels was with my grandfather back there. They were much more plentiful back in old MO 

Interesting. My ancestors came from Pennsylvania. Yeah this state is good for morels but I couldn't find any this year. Didn't have enough rain in April. We had about a 1/2 inch from Cristobal. I'll see if I can find some trumpets.

We had a dry summer here last year and a monsoon season the year before. Trumpets were hard to come by last year. Are you finding them this time of year in MO? I usually don’t see them till July/August here. They are my personal favorite. For such a tiny delicate mushroom they explode flavor when they hit hot butter! 

On 6/15/2020 at 9:19 AM, Kevin Hoover said:

Foulhook,

What do you do with reishi?  Think I found two young ones developing. 

5FBBA62B-60F8-4069-9D0F-3BD3A0B47214.jpeg

I make tea with them. I also dehydrate a bunch and will crush into a powder and add to dishes for medicinal properties. 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, CamilleR said:

Interesting. My ancestors came from Pennsylvania. Yeah this state is good for morels but I couldn't find any this year. Didn't have enough rain in April. We had about a 1/2 inch from Cristobal. I'll see if I can find some trumpets.

Well well we’ll. Look what’s up about a month earlier than normal

87AC7DCF-FC01-441C-80F8-01FCD1230C90.jpeg

6408FF56-C440-4CE8-85D0-5275714E0B41.jpeg

Oh nice! I've found them in the last week of june in the MD appalachians, a huge fruiting two years ago, but none last year. Planned a trip for next weekend to try my luck so very happy to see evidence they are around.

5 hours ago, brendan said:

Oh nice! I've found them in the last week of june in the MD appalachians, a huge fruiting two years ago, but none last year. Planned a trip for next weekend to try my luck so very happy to see evidence they are around.

I ran into the same last year, regular spots not producing from small rainfall. Then late summer we had one week of rain and they quickly showed up. Not in the quantity of the previous year but enough to be happy about. 

this is at least a month early. I went and checked other spots today and nothing...we have rain for the next week or so, I’ll check again a few days after the rain. 

Yeah last year was my second year in the hobby, I did WELL my first year and then last year I just tanked, it seemed like nothing grew all summer and fall haha. Some of it was probably bad luck but yeah just seemed like a real off year, though I did pretty well with Chantarelles and Milkies at least. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:09 AM, brendan said:

Yeah last year was my second year in the hobby, I did WELL my first year and then last year I just tanked, it seemed like nothing grew all summer and fall haha. Some of it was probably bad luck but yeah just seemed like a real off year, though I did pretty well with Chantarelles and Milkies at least. 

Nothing unusual about that unfortunately. Weather..weather...weather...get good conditions some years and tons of mushrooms and crap mushroom weather in others leaving you with only a taste or two some years. Way she goes...after a while you just know that unless you enjoy the walk it isn't worth looking if it doesn't rain.