Mushrooms on a Florida Beach -- in Sand!

Sunny_0ne

I would never have expected that mushrooms would grow on a beach. I would have thought it would be too dry, too windy and too salty.

But one of my girlfriends took this photo at St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in Florida last week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/pshermanfl/Kayaking%20photos/Camping/mushrooms111213.jpg

At first I thought someone might have put them there as a prank. Maybe they were plastic?

But I did some reading and discovered that there are mychorrizal mushrooms that grow on beaches, too, that help the scrubby trees that grow in the dunes.

I am sure the mushroom experts here won't be surprised, but I certainly was! :)

I get tired of both the snow and the cold. It warmed to radiant 12 degrees today. It could be worse. I saw -56 F around 30 years ago. That is temperature not the chill factor. Enjoy the sunshine!