Jump to content
Cain F

Laetiporus huroniensis

Recommended Posts

I am pretty new to edible mushroom hunting. Only started last year and have had success with black morel/laetiporus cincinnatus/dryad saddle and found many more that I didn't eat. I found a ton of what appeared to be chicken of the woods and decided to read up more on it. I saw on Wiki that in 2001 they found more species in the laetiporus family. One being Laetiporus huroniensis that is indistinguishable from chicken of the woods. My issue is that from what little information about this mushroom there is, I am reading that in 10% of people that eat it, it makes you really sick. I live in the great lakes where this mushroom grows and have a lot of people that want to try some of my foraged mushroom recipes. I don't want to inadvertently poison them so I am hoping you more experienced hunters have more information on this.

I also read that Laetiporus huroniensis can cross-breed with other laetiporus. Basically any chicken of the woods I find now has the possibility of poisoning even when it's 100% positively identified. What are your thoughts on this? Have any of you gotten sick eating chicken of the woods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that L. huroniensis --which grows on coniferous wood-- is particularly problematic. So, when I find Laetiporus on hemlock I do not harvest it for consumption. Also, I rarely serve Laetiporus to friends, and if I do I provide a warning that if they have not ever eaten this mushroom then it's possible there could be a mildly adverse reaction. 

I have one friend who said she felt a little queasy after eating L. sulphureus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the reply. I try to only harvest it from Oak because I know some people are allergic to hemlock. Would it be alright to have someone who wants to try it take a very small portion to see if they have a reaction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's okay for a person to sample a small amount of prepared Laetiporus, and then wait to see if there is any subsequent distress... as long as the possibility is made clear that some people experience discomfort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was basically what I was thinking. I always make clear the risks of people eating foraged edible mushrooms that can have adverse effects. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard. 
Quick little story..... had a few bags of laetiporus in the freezer. Some par boiled some not. Accidentally made jerky with the raw instead of the par boil. Took to work and let a few people sample it.  Everyone including my self had mild symptoms...... nausea mostly. Make sure it is cooked thoroughly. Horrible feeling to have half your crew sick. 
Happy hunting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.