Mushroom in wood chips.

bobby b

Found this growing in wood chips with some conifer needles mixed in. Produced a heavy white spore print. Broad creamy attached  gills that are brownish on the edge. The streaked brown stem enlarges to the base where the whitish to creamy colored mycelium was attached to a large amount of debris. ??

20200519_074727.jpg

20200519_074700.jpg

20200518_133556.jpg

20200518_133455.jpg

Viewed this post for a minute a few days ago, and then forgot to return to it. No confident proposal. The gill edges appear to be crenulate and marginate (darker color). Seems like this should be readily identifiable. Maybe there's something I'm just not thinking of. The mushroom reminds me of genus Tricholomopsis.

T. rutilans is a species that is often found during the latter part of Spring. But, T. rutilans generally shows more color, yellow gills and reddish/purplish scales on the cap. Here's an example from last year of a mushroom IDed as T. rutilans that appears to lack the prominent color  https://mushroomobserver.org/380255?q=1E4ty

T. formosa has a cap with prominent brown scales. https://mushroomobserver.org/image/show_image/544083?obs=211932

But I don't think it's either of these species. 

I didn't have Tricholomopsis on my list of white spored gilled mushrooms. This mushroom was accompanied by several Stropharia rugosoannulatas in a bed of wood chips and needles.  We had a nice rain 2 days ago. I'll have to check it for an example of something fresher. Thanks Dave.

Actually, this one looks to be in good condition. I checked a couple other possibilities; white spored saprobic species that occur in Spring.

Bonomyces sinopicus has decurrent gills and is colored reddish-brown. Also, habitat does not check.

Neolentinus lepideus. I think this should be considered. Although mushrooms of this species often have decurrent gills, this is not always the case. Gill attachment for N. lepideus is variable. I wonder if there may be a piece of wood buried under the mulch/chips? N. lepideus grows on --usually large-- pieces of conifer wood, stumps, or logs. If correct, the flesh of this mushroom should be quite firm.

Tricholomopsis seems like the best suggestion. It was connected to the chips and needles.  Yesterday this spot had Agrocybe & Stropharia.  If it pops up again I'll add to this post. Thanks.

More photos. It started out white. Distinctive stem dotting. Only seems associated with wood chips.  Tricholomopsis. ??  Big King Stropharia and Some Agrocybe growing in these wood chips. The Kings are good eating.

20200529_131513.jpg

20200529_131405.jpg

20200529_131343.jpg

20200529_130911.jpg

20200524_142228.jpg

20200524_142238.jpg