Armillaria mellea Honey Mushroom,,I think

Redcap66

Photos 1, 2, 6 look like Armillaria, although seeing the undersides on at least a few mushrooms from each cluster would be helpful. I am less confident about the 3rd, 4th, and 5th photos, as the cap surfaces seems kinda leathery and appear to lack the little hairy patches typical on most Armillaria types. As for the 7th photo... more info definitely needed on this one.

Redcap, are all of these mushrooms white-spored and with annulus (ring) on the stalk?

. These are all growing together. Kind of a real big fairy ring. The largest were almost dry they are so old. I didnt bother to check them for rings. But you can see the ring in this shot. Also how they were around the lawn.

post-638-0-05963300-1383563495_thumb.jpg

post-638-0-32188500-1383563583_thumb.jpg

post-638-0-15105200-1383563663_thumb.jpg

They are likely all Armillaria. But the old leathery-looking ones are well past prime. Older specimens of just about any type of mushroom are often more dificult to ID. Also, I'm still wondering about original photo #7.

Some people are allergic to a substance found in Armillaria species, and a person who is sensitive may become quite ill (flu-like symptoms) if they consume a meal. It may be the case that at least some of the bad stuff may be reduced if the mushrooms are well-cooked. I par-boil all my Honeys for 5-8 minutes before preapring as food. And after the par-boil I cook them --saute, soup, or stew-- for at least another 20 minutes. Honeys have a resiliant texture and hold up to a lot of cooking.

If you want to try eating Armillaria for the first time, I suggest sampling a small amount that is well cooked. Also, fresh specimens which show the white cottony partial veil (covering over gills) or recently broken veil (white ring on stalk), and have white gills as opposed to brownish gills as seen on older specimens) are best. The cluster seen in original photo #6 looks pretty good. The stalks become rather tough as the msuhrooms age. Of course, the usual advisory to be certain of ID applies.

During a good year for Honeys --which this is not, here in NE PA-- I typically run across a few caps that neasure 6" in diameter. I have seen ones that are in the 7.5" range... like your big 'un. largest ones I found this year were back in late August.

post-20-0-99473400-1383618054_thumb.jpg