Recent finds and a question

jdcooper

This is a mushroom I found a while ago and just looked at again. I thought it was odd since it is pure white but has the characteristic warts of a muscaria. Could this be a white blusher, Amanita Rubescens var alba?

post-591-0-52091000-1383237779_thumb.jpg

Just when I thought I'd never see a Cokeri again this season; I found this one yesterday.

post-591-0-77604100-1383237987_thumb.jpg

These are the most prevalent mushrooms around right now. Found these yesterday. I believe Amanita Citrina. They are everywhere.

post-591-0-66508500-1383238423_thumb.jpg

I also found this Hericium yesterday. I have to learn how to cook these.

post-591-0-00820800-1383238575_thumb.jpg

The Inonotus dryadeus I found recently now looks like this.

post-591-0-10735100-1383238725_thumb.jpg

It's interesting to see the different patterns emerge as certain species pop up at different times.

I am not sure how late into November I will continue to see mushrooms. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and be nice and clear this weekend. We'll see.

On a non mushroom note I found this skeleton; weird looking anyone know what it might be?

post-591-0-18044200-1383239083_thumb.jpg

Need to see the stalk base on that Amanita (first pic) in order to get a better idea about ID. But I think it may be a species from section Lepidella. The warts are very gray, which is not a typcial trait of muscaria or amerirubescens (new name).

Warty white Amanita looks like a Lepidella, possibly cokeri. To distinguish amongst the many types of Lepidellas (amanitas, in general, actually) one needs to see the entire mushroom.

Those Amanitas in the third pic do look like A. citrina. This species complex is currently being studied. I believe materials are still being accepted for study. Lat me know if you're interested, jd, and I'll put you in touch with Rod Tulloss.

The first picture was taken a few months ago. Didn't even know what the importance of a stalk base was back then.

The cokeri (?) is the very last of the decent sized interesting mushrooms of the season (except for a couple polypores) I didn't have the heart to dig it up. Here's what it looked like today.

post-591-0-25612300-1383432635_thumb.jpg

and the stem

post-591-0-11954200-1383432907_thumb.jpg

I'll get the whole stalk base tomorrow.

As far as what I thought was Amanita Citrina - I found this today. If this is the same mushroom as what I posted before I could harvest this. Unless the wild boar dig it up before tomorrow.

post-591-0-64595400-1383433033_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-90713300-1383433073_thumb.jpg

Jd, assuming you do not need to battle the wild boar over possession of the citron amanita, I'd say dig it up and dehydrate it. I'll touch base with Dr. Tulloss to see if he's still interested in receiving materials.

Redcap, go for it! Let's see what ya got!

post-591-0-59628500-1383655722_thumb.jpg

Ok Dave I got the whole cokeri mushroom yesterday before it got too dark.

Those wild boar really create a mess; rooting around and disturbing the mushrooms. They're a nuisance.

The only encounter I had with the wild boar was when my dog was off leash; he chased one of the little babies. It squeaked just like one of his squeaky toys. I had to chase after the dog chasing after the boar. The mom was no where in sight and the baby escaped safely.

JD awesome pics thanks for sharing and good luck with the boars, luckily in Ohio they are not as big a problem as coyotes which are skittish by comparison. Lovely photos as always.

Nice photo, jd. The mushroom is definitely an Amanita from section Lepidella, possible A. cokeri. There had once been a ring on the stalk. The ring where it was attached is seen near the apex of the stalk. So we don't have info about the annulus. Cokeri has a fairly distinctive double-layered annulus. About the gills of A. cokeri, Rod tulloss writes (on the Amanita Studies website http://www.amanitaceae.org/ ) "The gills are crowded, free to narrowly adnate, broad to very broad, white with a slight yellowish or pinkish tinge, with a white, subflocculose edge." I think the gills seen on this specimen are darker than "slight yellowish tinge", and I see no evidence of "subfloccose edges"... that is, edges very slightly cottony. A few months ago there were several posts made at Mushroom Observer of Amanitas from section Lepidella with tannish/brownish gills. The observations were made in Florida. To my memory, confident species ID was not reached on at least a few of these, although Rod seemed to have some ideas about the identities. I think your Lepidella may be a species other than A. cokeri, although the stalk does look like what one expects with A. cokeri.

Dehydrating one of these hefty Lepidellas, without using a dehydration machine, can be difficult, especially if the weather is very humid. Also, since this specimen is missing a key feature (annulus), I'm not sure it would make a desirable object for study. Actually, the mushroom I had suggested for collection/preservation was the A. citrina. That's the type which is currently being studied.

Hi Dave,

I know, I posted the A. Citrina photos on the pm board just a few minutes ago. Check your email.

I only posted that in reference to your comment about not being sure that particular photo was A. Cokeri.

post-591-0-05649200-1383687961_thumb.jpg

O.K. so you mean something more like this picture (different specimen). Ring is present not sure if its is double layered. Gills seem pinkish to me-edges seem cottony.

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks about my photos and thanks Sunny- :) I am going to go into withdrawal until Spring. The only thing I am finding now are puffballs-although they're cool too.

Another excellent photo, jd! This looks like the species that received a lot of attention on Mushroom Observer earleir this year.... gill color which Rod Tulloss had described as "cafe au lait." At first, there was much uncertainty about whether this type represented an Amanita or an Agaricus species. Probably not A. cokeri, but close; correct section of genus Amanita, Lepidella.