may be this a member of Tricholoma family ?

daniel2002

Nice to meet you guys :)

My mother found last weekend plenty of mushrooms in the forest next to our garden. The forest is mostly pine forest but they are falling leaves trees as well. I suspect that may be Tricholoma saponaceum or at least a member of the Tricholoma familly. An expert opinion is more than welcomed.

I must specify that we are living in the South of Romania (South-East Europe).

Daniel.

post-634-0-98459200-1383076290_thumb.jpg

post-634-0-28136300-1383076298_thumb.jpg

post-634-0-70155900-1383076301_thumb.jpg

These are quite likely a species of Tricholoma. As far as species... here in North America, nailing down a species name for a grayish Trich is challenging, as there are a few different ones. As for the types that occur in Romania...? Check these names: T. myomyces, T. terreum, T. virgatum, T. columbetta (more white than gray), T. resplendens (more white than gray).

Like vitog writes, spore print color would be potentially useful here.

Terrestrial growth in pine forests is a typical Trich habitat.

Daniel, it would be interesting to see other mushrooms that you find in Romania.

Thank you very much for your answers. Now I'm confident that is one of the first two from Dave sugestion list. It seems to be even edible.

How can I see the spor print color, how should I proceed?

Unfortunately now I am in Germany and going only in holydays to Romania. Next time when I will go I will make some notes about my finds.

The place where I grow up is in the South-East of the country, near to the Danube river. The forest here is mostly soft wood (Willow, Aspen) and sometimes Pine forest. Usually in the spring and autumn many species from Agaricus family are growing. On the dead logs especialy in the autumn Pleurotus ostreatus and Panus Tigrinus are to be found (the second one grows from Spring to Autumn). Polyporus squamous is also present on dead logs and is quite delicious.

Further to the North , in the Carpatian forest they are much more species to be found. There are peoples in that region that are living only from mushrooms harvesting. This is like a way of life. For a mushrom hunter may be a nice place to visit, if you're not affraid of bears.

Daniel.

Sounds like an interesting area, Daniel. People in eastern Europe are known to have used mushrooms as a major part of their diet for many years. My father's family came to America from Poland, and they ate at least several different types of wild mushrooms.

As for the spore print, I think the best way to get information form a spore print color is to place the cap with the gills (or pores) facing downward and straddling two pieces of paper, one white and one black. Place a cup over the mushroom cap to keep air currents from carrying the spores away from the papers. Spores usually fall within a 24 hour period, but sometimes it takes more time. Sometimes no spores fall, or maybe not enough to really tell the color. But if one gets a nice thick spore print, then a light color will be obvious against the black with any subtle differences from pure white seen against the white paper. If the print is white the color will not differ from the white paper. A dark print will be obvious against the white, but any differences from black will be best seen in contrast to the black paper.