Large white mushrooms. edible?

RaffD

If the spore print turns out white im thinking of trying these.

They look like Hypsizygus ulmarius. They have a very hard stalk of the appropriate dementions and were fruiting on hardwood.

Worth a try?post-611-0-82318900-1382910588_thumb.jpgpost-611-0-03122500-1382910603_thumb.jpgpost-611-0-50482400-1382910617_thumb.jpg

Hypsizygus looks like a good possibility for these, as long as you are certain they were growing on wood, and that the spore print is white (as opposed to some other light color which may appear to be white if collected on a black background). I have found various Tricholoma types growing near the bases of trees, and sometimes it looks a lot like these terrestrial mushrooms are fruiting from the wood. Clitocybe and Leucopaxillus are other types to rule out.

I tried eating some Hysizygus cap many years ago. Actually, I thought it had good flavor. Since the flesh id somewhat tough/chewy it should be sliced very thinly.

Raff, if you decide to try these, I'd recommend trying just a very small amount at first. Make certain the slices are well-cooked.

Thak you for the input sir. These were all well above the ground, 4-6 feet high, growing on two seperate partially dead trees of the same variety, me thinks elm or beech, not to many leaves left this time of year. The print was collected on black and white and did look very white with magnification. I will be using glass from now on haha. They remained basically unchanged after being left in the kitchen for 2 days and still retained moisture.Tried each musroom seperatly leaving 4 hours between them. Excellent flavor comperable to, dare I say, king oysters. I cut them about 1 cm thick and cooked in no-salt butter. They "crusted" and had some durability as you mentioned but were very soft inside. Stem seems to degrade while being cooked and also becomes moist inside. These are very common, I would say prevelant, in my area at this time of year and will be on my 'Eat' list from now on :)

P.S. I dont know of any toxic Leucopaxillus but are there any toxic tree growing Clitocybe look-alikes to these that I should watch out for?

Leucopaxillus species are considered inedible on account of bitter flavor. Some folks, however, lack the bitter taste bud, and for such a person Leucopaxillus may seem palatable. They may be sickeners for all I know. These types are all terrestrial, and tend to grow in troops with the stalks all connected to a network of thick mycelium that's just below the surface. A favorite habitat is in the needle duff under conifers. Spore print white.

Clitocybe are also mainly terrestrial, with a few species (and also a few related genera) producing mushrooms on wood. But the large white Clitocybes, some of which are toxic, tend to occur terrestrially. There are a few dangerously poisonous Clitocybes, like the C. dealbata types. But C. dealbata is a smallish terrestrial type that tends to occur in open/grassy areas. Spore prints white to yellow to pale fleshy.

I think that you have managed to acquaint yourself with one type of edible (Hypsizygus) that's available in your locale. Keep the particular characters in mind, and don't stray from the formula that works.

• 6 years later...

I think these are Cliticybe robusta. If correct, a thick spore print will show a pale yellow hue. Somewhat fruity somewhat unpleasant odor with this species, 

Genus Leucopaxillus is another possibility. There are a few species that produce large white mushrooms. Bitter taste. White spore print.