The Big Yellows/Whites/Grays have arrived!

Dave, your killin' it. Which photo or photos is M ulmaria?   Another good day for me, 16 morels under crab apple. A friend got 68 today. Wow!    Some of the morels I saw were starting to brown and some had a little mold at the base. Seems a little past peak.

20200504_160545.jpg

20200504_144816_001.jpg

20200504_140801.jpg

Wow! Great pics Dave and a of a haul. 

Saturday I walk some new tulip forest in a river flood plain and found about 50 yellows and greys. Nothing in the size you found though..

However this is where I sound crazy.. I found them mainly be smell I believe. Weird because my sense of smell has been greatly diminished by 3 years of cpap. Now I can smell certain things very well and other thing not at all..But I swear I would pick up that distinctive morel smell and then strike a lighter to see the wind direction and head towards the wind. It happened 3 times and all three times I found morels. So am I nuts? Is it in my head? 

Hey Dave, nothing like your haul but it was a good day in the woods today. Mix bag and some Ramps to go with. Some under tulip poplars then got lucky and found a few old apple trees behind an old abandon farm that had most of the yellows

I sure hope this cold front doesn’t end the season. 

D2C1EA46-F152-4C38-8337-7A6894E34EE9.jpeg

22F0353B-CE76-4267-8FC3-5342A3E8941B.jpeg

The morels I think may be Morchella ulmaria are the seven white/gray ones filling up my hand. 

Dug up a few ramps out back of my house this morning, cut down some chives and a couple asparagus spears. Sauteed morels with the ramp bulbs (saved the greens for salad). I had about 1 cup of fiddleheads in the fridge. Swiss cheese, eggs, half & half, salt, pepper, little bit of nutmeg and lemon juice all layered into a pie shell. Sprinkled some of the shredded cheese, chopped chives, and a little paprika on top. 400F for 20 minutes; 350F for another 25 minutes. Delicious Forager's Quiche for lunch today.

Not sure about what the cold weather will do to the morels. But, at my latitude this season has been sub-pr so far, and I expect this will continue to be the case. Maybe some late ones 10 days or so from now. I'll check an easy-in apple tree spot tomorrow afternoon to get anything that may come up between yesterday and tomorrow. (Picked this spot yesterday.) I'd say it's time to get out there and harvest what's available, before the rain/snow and sub-freezing temperatures ruin them. 

I have a few spots that produce nice big morels every year (although there aren't many apple trees left). The places with dying elms and old apple trees produce no matter what the weather says. But the ones in the hardwood forests are pretty finicky. We seem to be stuck in an annual weather pattern where it gets warm in March, stays warm through the first week of April, and then winter returns. This pattern seems to work well for places south of the Pocono plateau, but not for up here in NE PA. Just when Spring is ready to spring, it gets cold and everything comes to a screeching halt. I just mowed my front lawn for the first time this year.