Best day ever in “The Forest” !!!!

The only copperhead I ever saw was when walking up an old railroad bed with my Dad to a remote little beaver-dam trout stream we used to fish. Snake was spread out sleeping in the sun. We didn't see him until we were pretty close. That was same time of year as now, 52 years ago give or take a year. 

It’s very common to see many of these through out the year. Wife had a close call in the yard a couple years ago. She went to photograph a mushroom next to a potted plant and there it was !! Coiled up patiently awaiting lunch !! She was inches away from getting tagged !!

Scary! I hope this incident didn't discourage her from photographing mushrooms 😊 . Not far from where I live there's an annual rattlesnake hunt. Hunters bring the snakes in alive, allow them to be on display for a day, and then return them to where they were found. Seems to be sustainable; they find rattlesnakes every year. My wife and I have run across rattlers a few times. Once one blocked our path along a trail that closely paralleled a high cliff, refused to move. We ended up needing to bushwhack around on the upland side. 

Those photographs of the kids are priceless.