Backyard Curiosity

digital.moth

Formal education has me absorbed as of lately but in my backyard "wanderings" I stumbles across this guy and so here I am shirking my studies, pondering at what this might be instead. ;)

"Furry" cream-brown cap is 8cm in diameter, gills are (it seems) unattached, the veil ring is thick, jagged, and can be moved up and down stem (PLEASE NOTE: in the pictures below I have managed to tear this ring and in the latter pictures it is removed altogether!). Stem was mostly hollow and flesh quickly stains a dark red upon being cut.

Found in the vicinity of big-leaf maples and firs, my less-than-complete knowledge and complete lack of experience paired with my field guide brought me to a couple types of Lepiota (does Procera grow in the Pacific Northwest, or the US at all?) but more informed opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

post-563-0-85189600-1381883175_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-89103100-1381883233_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-06064800-1381883276_thumb.jpg

My guess would be a Shaggy Parasol species. Chlorophyllum rhacodes, olivieri, and brunneum. To me this one fits C. olivieri. These were listed as Macrolepiota in the past but have been reclassified. Some people are allergic to them. This would be my guess anyway.

Digital.moth, your specimen is certainly a Shaggy Parasol; which one doesn't matter, since they used to all be considered one species. The pink to red stain on cut surfaces is pretty much diagnostic. I've been collecting them in good quantities for a few weeks and now have a year's supply of dried caps. As jmw stated, an allergic reaction is possible for a few unlucky individuals; so they should be eaten in small quantities at first. I consider them to be one of the best tasting mushrooms available in this region.

No kidding... Thank you both, jmw and vitlog. Will be taking a spore print tonight to really cement the gap between Rhacodes and Molybdite, then maybe we'll see if I can't avoid joining the ranks of the "unlucky" allergics. o__O

Quick follow-up if it's not too much trouble -- probably more of an opinion question: should I wait until the closed caps mature and open to harvest or just take them as they are?

Spore prints for groups of Shaggy Parasols are usually automatic; where their caps overlap you can see the white spores on the lower cap surface. What stage of growth to harvest depends on their use. The young closed caps are best for sautéing fresh, while the flat older caps are better for drying or chopping up as a flavoring in soups and sauces. The dried caps can be easily crushed and turned into a flavorful powder.