Please ID this Polypore

MCA

The different layers of tubes seen in the cross-section is a trait associated with more than one genus of hard-fleshed perennial polypore. Fomes fomentarius is one such species of polypore that exhibits this trait. So, although not conclusive evidence, I'd say the recently posted photo provides good support for the F. fomentarius proposal. 

Dug out my copy of "Ploypores of British Columbia" (PBC). Some good descriptions in this book.

At first I didn't think "Fomitopsis pinicola", because F. pinicoloa generally (but not always) features different colored bands on the upper surface, often with a red or white band near the margin. But, there are some traits here that favor F. pinicola over Fomes fomentarius: 1. cross-section with layers of tubes distinct; 2. growth on Douglas fir (which I didn't know to begin); 3. pore openings quite small. So, I agree this is more likely F. pinicoloa. If you have a way to examine spores with a microscope (at least 400x magnification), then F. fomentarius spores are significantly larger than those of F. pinicola. PBC says that the upper surface of F. pinicola is sometimes completely black. PBC also says that the pore surface of F. pinicola bruises yellow (when fresh), which is evident in the first photo. See * below for one final suggestion regarding F. pinicola.

Laricifomes/Fomitopsis officinalis is a Pacific NW species that grows on Douglas fir. It is said that its tube layers are distinct (similar to what is seen here). But, the upper surface of the ones seen here seem too dark and with a substantial pileus, which seems to point away from L/F officinalis. 

Fomitopsis ochracea is another species to consider. PBC says F. ochracea is sometimes confused with F. pinicola. 

*PBC offers up a piece of information that one may use to separate F. pinicola from at least some of the look-alike species. If a burning match is held to the upper surface (pileus) of F. pinicola the crust boils. This something I definitely did not know! 

Thanks for pressing the ID discussion on this one, MCA. I learned a few things about these species of perennial conks. BTW, photo documentation in this thread is really good. Evidence seems very good for Fomitopsis pinicola.