What are these yard mushrooms?

mikerho

I found these in my yard. They have white gills, but I've taken no spore print. I've cut one lengthwise as you can see. There is no evidence of a sac, but I am not convinced they aren't an Amanita species.

Can anyone tell me what they are?

Thanks!

Mike

post-605-0-60000900-1381538073_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-98424100-1381538076_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-46407900-1381538080_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-89251300-1381538083_thumb.jpg

Since I am new here, I am experiencing a certain fear that, being that no one has replied to my post, I have either said something really stupid, or not given information that any junior mycologist would.

Okay, okay! I'll get a spore print. Will that help?

It is a smaller group here and sometimes it takes a day or two for somebody to come along who is familiar with a species in an ID request. For instance I enjoy the puzzle of IDing mushrooms, but I have no confidence in my amanita or amanita look alike skills so most of the time I keeep mum on these. For me white cap and white gills leave it alone and move on. Others, here however will be of great help when they happen to see this post.

Thanks jmw and Tasso for the replies. I appreciate the input and the warnings. I'm not going to eat - just interested to know what they are (thanks for the link Tasso - I think that is what they are). However, without being able to see the spore shape and color, I can't know conclusively what the species is, so I'll err on the side of caution. :)

One of these days when I get back to work, I'll probably buy a computer microscope. Any thoughts/recommendations on what kind of magnification is needed for looking at spores or specific makes/models that would be good for this application (without being too expensive)?

Thanks for the input!

Mike

I'm a relative newbie, and there is no way on earth I would eat a white mushroom with an enlarged base whether it looked like a volva to me or not. Amanita poisoning is an awful way to die.

Do get into the habit of taking spore prints, though. It's the one thing that we beginners can do to eliminate what a mushroom is not, even if we can't determine exactly what it is.

Good luck! :)