Help can't figure out this Bolete

jdcooper

I have found a couple of these Boletes recently and can't figure out what they are. I did aspore print. It was a rusty brown color.

This mushroom has a cap with a chestnut brown color, it does look reddish in the shade. It did not have any blue bruising when handled or cut. It did stain a bit darker yellow. Both ones I found were about the same size and the stem is reddish and long with no bulging.

post-591-0-30388200-1381513270_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-64092100-1381513481_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-94987400-1381513668_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-35139300-1381513890_thumb.jpg

Are all the photos of the same specimen? It may just be the photos but my first thought was thought you have two different species here. Pore surface and stem reticulation look different in the last photo than in the other photos. May be true of the third photo also?

The first two photos belong to one specimen. The last two photos belong to the second specimen.

The reason the third photo might looks different than the last photo is that the first one was taken in sun, second one in shade. But they are the same mushroom.

Man some of these Boletes are hard to figure out!

Lack of reticulation in the first specimen would cause me to have the opinion that it is not B. illudens.

Do you happen to know what kind of trees either specimen was growing around?

Which specimen did you happen to spore print?

Boletes are my favorite. Sometimes hard to ID, but always with a little personality I think. With Boletes the more info the better. Maybe that is true of any mushroom to be honest. What tree it was growing around, flesh color, staining, dry or sticky, smell, taste. Anything can help and can also let you know that you just found a different spcies from another one that looked kind of similiar. Dave, the Bolete Master can probably tell you based on just a photo, but me I need all the darn help I can get.

The second specimen I did a spore print. Rusty brown. White flesh when cut. No bruising blue. Just a little darker yellow staining when cut. Dry cap, not sticky. Pore surface very light yellow-almost whitish. Pleasant mushroom smell, not strong. Nice mild taste. No idea on the tree, mixed hardwood and conifer forest. Growing by itself, in a shady area.

1st specimen I cannot see any reticulation at the apex of the stem which makes me doubt it is B. illudens.

2nd specimen to me is a different species. Pore surface differs in pore size and arrangement as well as color and seems to have some dark staining where it was touched or handled. Stem also shows clear reticulation.

Going to think on these a bit and let you know if I come up with anything.

I am thinking Boletus Projectellus on the second specimen only.

Cap 4-15 cm across, convex; dark cinnamon to yellow-brown or reddish bay with age; dry and slightly cracking. Tubes pale creamy olive. Pores rather large, pale cream to yellowish olive. Stem, equal to slightly clavate; reddish buff to vivacious buff with deep, coarse reticulum from top to bottom. Odor pleasant, taste acidic. Spores long ovoid, Deposit olive. Habitat under pine. Found throughout eastern US. (unlike many bolete species, it does not turn blue when cut or injured, but it does slowly turn yellow brown.)

I think this fits. It did not turn blue when cut. We have a lot of pine trees on the trail I found it on. (Well we have a lot of pine trees period!)

That might be right JD. A few points that might change that is the pore surface seems more white/cream than pale yellow, I can find no mention that B. projectellus has pores that bruise brown and the photo shows bruising on the pores, and the reticulation on the stem does not seem pronounced enough for the species. However it may be that in your area the species varies a bit from the standards in field guilds. If you look at the write up on B. projectellus at Rogers mushrooms and on Mushroom Expert they do vary a bit and seem slightly inconsistent. So it is possible you have this one.

Boletes will drive a beginner like me nuts. I spent more time trying to id ones that end up having endless possibilities. So far every time I find a brown staining bolete everyone seems to say some type of Tylopilus. I checked it out and there is one that comes close to the one you have. Not a true tylopilus but listed as one some places. I guess vaguely reticulate or not is your call.

Austroboletus gracilis

Yes, DS and JMW the Austroboletus gracillis definitely fits better. The reticulation wasn't very pronounced. The pic shows the curved stem. The pore surface did seem more white too.

So right about the endless possibilities with Boletes. Although some are pretty easy. Thanks for your input.

Second specimen does look like A. gracilis, and the rusty brown spore print is not far off from the "rosy brown" reported by MushroomExpert.

I was thinking maybe Boletus badius for the first specimen. But the stem surface seems too smooth for this type. I think there may be a few varieties of B. badius. Was there any bluish bruising on the pores?

Even with NA Bolete Book and the specimen both at hand, trying to ID a bolete can occasionally drive anybody nuts!