ID Please

navieko

The mycorrhizal fungi of Australia are mostly different species than we have here in North America. My guess is the mushroom seen here represents a species of Amanita. Not sure what to say about the section (of this genus)... maybe Lepidella, based upon the appendiculate cap margin (hanging material). But, the staining and rather simple basal structure (non-rooting stem with smallish bulb that lacks universal veil deposits) suggests section Validae. there are species that seem to straddle the boundary between sections Lepidella and Validae. I believe a few of these occur in Australia. This may be one such species... but I can't say with high confidence that this is even an amanita. 

I recommend posting this onto Mushroom Observer. Or, with you permission, navieko, I could use the photos seen here to create an MO observation. In the meantime, if you have a way to dehydrate/preserve the sliced mushroom, then it may be useful to a researcher to have the opportunity to study it. But please don't confuse this mushroom with anything that may have preserved for for eating. This mushroom is possible dangerously poisonous

Addendum...

Sorry, I should have first read your introduction to this discussion, navieko. Indeed, Amanita ochrophylla looks like a possibility. If correct, this could be a very useful find. The Amanita Studies website appears to portray this species as rather uncommon.   http://www.amanitaceae.org/?Amanita+ochrophylla

There's an article on Wikipedia on this mushroom. At the bottom of the page there is a chart that shows it in a subgenus Amanitina in a section Roanokenses. I don't see Amanitina listed on Amanitaceae.org. & was wondering which was correct.

There is currently controversy regarding the classification of the Amanitaceae. The classic interpretation --due to Cornelis Bas-- places "ochrophylla" into... genus Amanita, subgenus Lepidella, section Lepidella, subsection Gymnopodae   http://www.amanitaceae.org/?Amanita+ochrophylla . There is another school of thought that takes "section Lepidella" and splits it into new classifications, including at least one new genus. Dr. Tulloss ascribes to Bas's classic treatment. He disagrees with the splitting of genus Amanita.

Not sure, but I think the basis of the proposal to split comes from a difficulty to build a phyllogentic tree for genus Amanita that includes section Lepidella... or at least some of the taxa included within this section. Some of the "Lepidellas" have very ancient lineage and DNA analysis seems to include some "missing links".