Need Help Identifying this Polypore

jdcooper

post-591-0-76163000-1380817215.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't photograph the underside of this polypore. In my research I haven't found anything that looks even close to it.

I live near Atlanta Georgia.

edited to add: I apologize since this photo probably does not have near enough information to identify. I just starting mushroom hunting a few months ago. I don't even know what type of tree this was. I was deep in the woods and unfortunately, don't even know where to look to find this again. It was the biggest polypore or mushroom I have seen and my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Try this for size.

Phaeolus schweinitzii (Polyporaceae) Dyers Polypore

Grows solitary or grouped on roots of or under conifers

Cap 11 cm wide, circular to fan shaped, multi-capped, broad cushion shape to shallow depressed in age, wooly matted fibers on surface when young, smoother as it ages, orange to brownish yellow or greenish yellow at margin when actively growing, rusty brown to dark brown when old, sometimes concentrically zoned

Pore surface Decurrent, mustard yellow to greenish yellow, 1 to 3 pores per mm or joined to form larger pores near stalk, turns brown to black in age, tubes 2 to 10 mm long

Flesh Yellowish to rusty brown, often appearing zoned

Stalk (If present) 1 to 6 cm by 1 to 5 cm thick, often tapers downward, sometimes appearing to root, central to off-center, texture like cap

Spore print White to yellowish-green

Spores 5-9 x 3-5 microns, elliptical, entire

Comments: This uncommon species is difficult to identify as it goes through many color and shape changes as it develops and ages. It has only been recorded at Toft Point in August and September.

- See more at: http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/resources/mushrooms/descriptionsP-Z.asp

Could also be this.

Gloeophyllum sepiarium (Fries) Karsten

COMMON NAME: Yellow-red Gill Polypore.

CAP: 14" (2.510 cm) wide, semicircular to kidney-shaped, flat or slightly convex, stalkless, fibrous-tough; surface covered with short stiff hairs, becoming matted and felty or nearly smooth in age, with distinct concentric zones and furrows, bright yellowish red to reddish brown; margin whitish to orange-yellow or brownish yellow, uneven, with tufts of tiny hairs.

FLESH: up to ¼" (6 mm) thick, fibrous-tough, yellow-brown to rusty brown, black in KOH.

PORE SURFACE: golden brown to rusty brown, gill-like to labyrinthine (often both), and sometimes with elongated pores; pores 12 per mm.

SPORE PRINT: white.

MICROSCOPIC FEATURES: spores 913 x 35 µm, cylindric, smooth, hyaline.

FRUITING: solitary, in groups, or rosette-like clusters on decaying wood, usually conifer; year-round; common.

EDIBILITY: Inedible.

COMMENTS: Lenzites betulina (inedible) has white flesh and usually grows on decaying hardwood. Gloeophyllum trabeum (inedible) has crowded gills and narrow pores, up to 4 per mm along the margin.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think both of those are good candidates for what this is. I hope I see it again. I'll have to trudge back down to the creek where I found this.

It was quite cool to see something like this. Of course I get excited at just about every new mushroom I find, like the stinkhorns I came across for the first time a couple days ago.

Glad to have found this site. :) My husband just doesn't get it!

Not sure I would call this one Phaeolus schweinitzii, but I could be wrong. Color pattern and growth do not match the ones I have found elsewhere in the South (NC). Also, I think it might be asking a lot to call the tree in the photo a conifer. If it is a conifer it would have to be hemlock which doesn't grow in my area. Certainly is not pine which accounts for 85% of the trees in the South it seems like (joking).

An example of one I found this summer.

post-488-0-43918700-1373682035_thumb.jpg

I would not call it Phaeolus schweinitzii myself. I've seen enough of them. BUT, we really need to see the pore surface, so remember that for next time. Always shoot an above shot of the top and an underside shot of gills or pores and then if possible, a sideview shot of it in situ.

JDC Hemlock may grow in your area, they do not however grow on the coast of NC where I live. Not sure of hemlock ranges but I do know they grow in the mountains of NC some maybe in the mountains of Georgia as well?