Two colourful mushrooms Lactarius and Cortinarius

shroomersue

These are colourful mushrooms for sure!

I am pretty sure the lactarius is Lactarius Thyinos - strong inroll margin and didn't bruise green -looks like reddish bruise and cuts. Did not

really exude any coloured latex but the cut turned red. Found under pine in southwestern Ontario. Am I right?

Also what a brilliant purple mushroom! Cortinarius violaceus me thinks cuz of the bulbous stipe. Found under oak, beech, maple forest. Could it be something else?

post-205-0-28880900-1380764179_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-22373600-1380764321_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-83154100-1380764341_thumb.jpg

The Lactarius is not L. thyinos, but that proposal is not far off. The green staining rules out L. thyinos. This looks like one of the eastern NA types formerly called Lactarius deliciosus, and currently called Lactarius deterrimus. The orange latex causes the gills and flesh to stain green after exposure to air.

I'm somewhat less confident about the identity of the Cort. The color matches well with what one expects for L. violaceus. But the cap surface appears to be smooth. L. violaceus typically has cap surface featuring tufts of fibers, giving it a scaly appearance. There are at least several purple/violet species of Cortinarius. The deep dark purple color on the cap seen here does agree with C. violaceus.

Could the Blue one be an Indigo Milk cap Lactarius indigo? And the Orange on a Saffron Milk Cap Lactarius deliciosus?

It really ain't easy identifying mushroom is it? I'll learn over time, this is a pass-time/hobby that last, and takes a lifetime.

I use this Android app to help me with identifying

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cortina.mushrooms&hl=en