Clitopilus prunulus???

zora

Hello! I have not been on this site in quite awhile. But I am currently out of work and enjoying every single minute of it!!! I don't think there has been one day since I have not been in the woods. And what a great time of year! It finally stopped raining here about the time I got layed off. Hope you all have been well and I am glad to see the site doing well also.

Here is a mushroom that I have found before in the same place but was unable to get a spore print from. Hopefully I will get one this time. So my guess on it is not positive yet and since I will never be 100% positive on this one it will never be eaten. But I do want opinions. Hopefully when I get a spore print and get it under the microscope I will know more. They were growing in the same area under mixed hardwoods. (not shown) I can not say how they smell. I have not real sense of smell. They just smelled mushroomy to me. Nothing strange. Cap width on one that was fully open was 4". Stalk was about 2-3" Surface was dry. Lots of mycelium at the base. No ring.

post-4-0-51629500-1380401194.jpg

post-4-0-81018300-1380401198.jpg

post-4-0-06259700-1380401203.jpg

post-4-0-79082500-1380401207.jpg

post-4-0-22142100-1380401212.jpg

Hi Zora, Great to see you here! Would it be possible for you to post a few pertinent photos that we can blow up? These are set at this tiny size and won't enlarge. It would be very helpful. What I find interesting about your specimens is the bulbous bottom of the stipe where it goes into the ground. I can't find mention of that in any descriptions of C. prunulus. I was thinking maybe Clitocybe robusta with the inrolled margin on the cap. I just don't know for sure but it will be good to find out what color the spore print is. Welcome back!

Hi zora!

The bulbous stalk base is an unusual trait for Clitopilus. C. prunulus has a pink spore print, and C. robusta print is pale yellow. The distinction can be subtle, and taking the print partly on white medium can be helpful. C. prunulus spores a longitudinally striate, but you need a really good scope to see this. I doubt these are Entolomas, but E. abortivum is difficult to completley rule out. This one has a salmon pink spore print, and the spores are angular... as is the case with all Entolomas.