Leucoagaricus naucinus

Old Oak

Went out this weekend looking for oyster mushrooms...still way too hot. I knew this just wanted to get out anyway.

Ended up finding hundreds (only collected maybe 20) of leucoagaricus naucinus. I feel 99.999% sure of my identification. I was tempted to eat them, but thought better of it due to its many shared characteristics of deadly amanitas. Just keep telling myself not to become a darwin awards winner.

Either way cool new-to-me mushroom, a nice getting totally lost in the woods moment(s), and the season's first case of poison ivy....good outing.

The L. naucinus I have found has always been collected on lawns. I have never seen it in a woodland setting. The name Leucoagaricus naucinus is suspected to represent a complex of closely related species, and there are some reports of it not agreeing with some individuals. So I suspect that there may be some varieties of this species --perhaps other species-- which are sickeners, at least for some people.

Over the years I have eaten the lawn dwelling type that is basically all white. For about a 4 year period they appeared each autumn on my lawn. Although they do taste quite good IMO, it still freaks me out a bit to eat these white mushrooms with annulus and white spore print.

It must just be the difference in region. These were growing in open prairie and woodland areas. I was tempted to eat/collect them because there were probably well over 40 lbs of easy pickings, but was just a little too freaked out.