New to site - first non-intro post with pictures:

chef

I stumbled upon this site a few days ago and the first topic that sparked my interest was that of the Boletus app. For what it is and what it could be - I believe it is a must-have-no-brainer for 1.99. It does prove itself handy for ID purposes and ease of use. Of course I have stumped it a few times but it definitely seems promising with more input and future updates.

That being said:

I have been mapping out my 100+ acre farm, zig-zagging back and forth tagging locations on the ever-useful GPS map function and happened to stumble across a fallen log with 10+ young chicks in situ. The oysters have been prevalent as well and mapping out my property has turned up a few new spots which I find quite exciting. Also came across some well past due hedgehogs in a new location for me.

I apologize for my nerd-ness but being a chef and knowing the value of what my property produces literally just past my front steps...its awesome! Attached are a few more pictures from right outside my door over the past couple of months:

post-572-0-43397200-1380064838_thumb.jpg

Baby Chicks

post-572-0-08291100-1380064670_thumb.jpg

Baby Chants

post-572-0-45135500-1380064634_thumb.jpg

Harvest Size

post-572-0-98151900-1380064738_thumb.jpg

Bounty

post-572-0-45335300-1380064801_thumb.jpg

6-8-10-inch oysters!

...and last but not least, the dish of the night from my Supper-Club:

poke sallet and chanterelle quiche

post-572-0-71054700-1380064772_thumb.jpg

enjoy -

Chef

The color of those "Baby Chicks" seems a bit unusual for species of Laetiporus (Chicken Mushrooms). This could be due to the ambient lighting when the photo was taken. Laetiporus is typically yellow/orange on the top side and yellow (one type) or white (another type) underneath. However, MushroomExpert shows a few photos of very pale Laetiporus specimens. I have not ever seen this in any of my Laetiporus collections. I'd be interested in seeing how these Baby Chicks develop.

And... that chant quiche looks awesome! About a month ago my wife traded a collection of chants at a local restaurant in return for a free lunch. They used the chants to make a quiche. We didn't get a chance to try it out. But since chants and scrambled eggs go together like they were made for each other, I imagine this tastes as good as it looks. Every spring I make what I call a Forager's Quiche, with fresh morels, fiddleheads, wild leeks, and free-range eggs that I get from a friend. I have also experimented with using dried morels. I reydrate them in the half&half that goes into the quiche filling. Works very well.

Planets, L. cincinnatus sometimes fruits from buried wood, appearing terrestrial. When it does this there may be a stalk-like connection to the substrate. As for the unusual color, check out the MushroomExpert account of Laetiporus. I'm not saying the photo seen here is or isn't Laetiporus; just that it would be a somewhat unusual example of a mushroom from this genus.

The poster is from North Carolina. It could be L. cincinnatus. Just to add my 2 cents, chef, I think if it were me, I'd pick those chants somewhere between pic #2 and #3 before they become flags (fully opened and spored) You have some nice things growing on your property and did you know, your area is a very good area for planting truffle trees (hazelnut and English oak innoculated with tuber melanosporum to produce the black Perigord truffles)? Check out Garland Truffles: http://www.garlandtruffles.com/. This should interest you a lot if you have the room.

The chicks in question are growing on a fallen log that is covered with moss, thus appearing terrestrial. It was a quick snap and GPS log - the light was in fact washing out and I was quite an uphill hike back home. I will get back out in the next few hours and post some updated pictures. My ID came from quick glance, she is in a very productive area for (white spore) chickens. I will snap some polypore shots as well.

In regards to the chants - I harvested nearly 30lbs over a two week period from 3 small spots. I happened upon them on horseback with nothing to carry them out with, by the time I made it back I had specimens nearing the size of my hand - unfortunately quite buggy as well. My second round were more "restaurant proper" in size and bug-less-ness...needless to say but they are buried somewhere inside that quiche.

Lastly...I am well aware of our truffle-inoculating friends at Garland! We have a vineyard on site, not sure if I could handle growing truffle oaks. They also inoculate magnatum truffles but they are a bit more expensive. I am impatient...5 years...? seems like a lifetime to wait for truffles! Would be nice though.

Bummer on the chants and coming back to flags and bugs. If it had been me, I'd have removed my shirt and used it as a bucket! I've certainly done that with rain jackets. ;)

If I had some land I could just designate to some hazelnut trees, I'd go for the truffle trees. 5 years is over just like that and bingo, a great cash crop! (if all goes well) English oaks will take longer.