Jelly fungus

fgvand943

Does anyone know what type of jelly fungus this is? Im not great at identifying trees, especially when thier leaves are gone. But based on the area i was in id say it was most likely some kind of cottonwood tree. Also I'm reading mixed things about whether there are toxic jelly fungi. Do any of you know of any toxic species?

20191224_105158.jpg

I thought that to but I assumed any resin produced would have some sort of odor. This doesn't smell like anything. I may be wrong in assuming the resin would be aromatic though.

It was also a deciduous tree of some kind and I was under the assumption they didn't produce thick resin like conifers. 

I checked info on genera Tremella and Exidia. The only things I found that somewhat resemble the blobs seen above are species that occur on conifer wood. 

I googled "cottonwood sap" and found quite a bit of info regarding sap or liquid that oozes out of a cottonwood tree that has been infected with a bacteria or an insect. My guess is the stuff seen here is sap from the cottonwood tree.

Cotton wood sap is much thinner than this. This is like overly thick gelatin, much more like resin then the thin/wattery sap from a cottonwood. We have choke cherry trees around where I was at so could've been that as the black cherry resin pictures I found on the internet look similar. I'm not sure if choke cherry trees produce resin as well though but it seems possible if other cherry trees do. I'm really not good with trees though lol. It was definitely deciduous. Is the cherry gum aromatic? This has absolutely no smell.

Now reading into it more I'm guessing it's likely cherry gum. I read it's tasteless/odorless. Thank you!

Gross is in the eye of the beholder.  Most people think if you dont buy something in a grocery store, it is gross.  I think that is misguided and I feel the exact opposite, Id rather hunt/grow/forage/gather my own...but to each their own.

Never had tree gum, but we have bees and honeycomb makes a really nice gum substitute.  My jaw gets tired before the honeycomb breaks down  :-)