Found this in my yard today, need help

rwilkerson

Very little to go on Roger not being able to see the pores or stem. Also would be good to know if these were growing around or near trees. I would suspect these to be growing from buried roots of a tree and to be a species of Armillaria or Honey mushrooms. I would not say that with confidence though based on the limited information.

Very little to go on Roger not being able to see the pores or stem. Also would be good to know if these were growing around or near trees. I would suspect these to be growing from buried roots of a tree and to be a species of Armillaria or Honey mushrooms. I would not say that with confidence though based on the limited information.

do the added pics help? there are no trees around but there could be roots. Are these edible?

The additional photos do help. But I still don't have a great deal of confidence in my latest ID suggestion. I think these may be Armillaria tabescens, except... The gills appear to be possibly adnexed (notched) where they are attached to the stalk. Gills for A. tabescens are typically decurrent, that is the attachments run down the stalk for a short distance.

Armillaria tabescens is called the Ringless Honey Mushroom. Although edible, it is generally not recommended for beginners. Ringed types of Armillaria are less difficult to ID. All Armillarias should be well-cooked before eating, and even then some folks are allergic to these types; one can become quite sick if they are sensitive. I par-boil all my Armillarias. Having written all of this, I'd recommend that someone who knows this type of mushroom very well should examine the collection first-hand (not just some photos) in order to get a more confident ID.

Mushrooms do not always obey the "rules" that are found in the field guides. Observable traits may vary for any given type.

It would be even more helpful if the photos showed the entire mushroom from serval different perspectives.