Falling?

How many times do you fall while hunting mushrooms?  I know it depends on coordination and probably and slope of where your hunting, but it’s also easy to trip over rocks or branches.

Just curious. I just started hunting mushrooms this summer, and while stumbling a lot, haven’t fallen yet. But I know that’s not going to last. 

And that leads to my second question. Do you normally hunt alone, or with others? I hunt alone normally. Sometimes my wife comes along. And hunt with others at club functions. But I always make sure someone knows the general area I’m hunting in. 

Guess I just want to be able to tell my GP, yes I have fallen, but most of us who hunt mushrooms do. 

Any time in wild outdoors is a potential survival situation. Especially if you fall and break something like an ankle.

But I go outdoors alone and have done for for decades.

Sure, I enjoy company some times but you can't live life in fear of rare events.

Take a cell phone if you have coverage in your forest. Bring a Compass always. A knife and a water bottle. Dress appropriately. Tell someone where you are going, if possible.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure Oyster Mushrooms are going to get me in a jam sooner or later, I always seem to find them growing on say a tree fallen across a river or in some dicey location I could MAYBE climb up to haha. I'd rate falling as my second biggest worry when mushrooming, after hunters. Poisonous mushrooms are way lower on the list.

• 4 weeks later...

I tripped quite a bit whenever in the woods. Had a large brain tumor. My buddy Scott also tripped a lot. He has Lou Gerrings  disease. I don’t wanna scare you but I don’t know anyone else that way. Scott is near 60, I’m in my 50s. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going slow helps with not falling and can result in more mushroom finds. Another good idea is to use a walking stick. Not a cane, but a stick at least armpit tall. It helps when going downhill, uphill, and crossing over logs or small streams. It's like having a third leg.If you see oysters on the far side of a stream and would need to use a log to cross, ask if it's worth the risk of slipping and falling into the stream.

• 6 months later...

Uh, yea. Fall a lot, but its worth it!!! Probably because i move too fast. Usually go alone, but sometimes with my son or dad. I'm in my 50's, my dad in his 70's. Always use a walking stick. Mostly very rocky terrain here.