Starting shiitake and oysters on logs

As I mentioned in another thread, the state is clear cutting the mixed hardwood forest behind my father in-law’s camp. Cutting is ongoing now. If I can get a firewood permit from the state for that area, I’m thinking some of the larger limbs would be suitable for starting mushrooms. If I get them soon, thinking around New Years, and inoculate them in February, would that work?

I'm also planning several beds of wine caps in wood chips early this spring at various places around the property. And several species of oysters in straw beds. 

• 1 month later...

Just saw this post.

Yes it will likely work.

I have done shiitake and oyster on logs. Shiitake is much more productive and successful. Use the biggest log you can handle physically. Keep them well shaded and with a way to mist or soak especially if the first summer is dry. Mine did not produce until their second year. Don't plug your logs until last frost threat is over. I'm sure I lost a few logs a couple years ago, when we had a deep freeze right after plugging the logs.

Wine caps are almost idiot proof. Extremely productive. Multiple flushes through each summer. Best in shade because the deep purple cap  blanches brown in sunshine.

Consider plugging some poplar stumps in the forest they are cutting. It might take several years to produce but the yield is huge compared to plugging logs. My preference is Polar White Oyster from Field and Forest in Wisconsin.