ID Help please!

1shotwade

I don't know if it's two different kinds of oysters or not but some that you get in winter around here smell exactly like fresh caught fish. Not a repelling odor. It is plesant, at least to me. I'd be interested to know if these are seperate species(if that's the right word)

The ones I found have a very earthy smell to them, but I have had others that smell fishy.

Wade

There at least four separate species of true Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus) that occur in NA. P. ostreatusP. pulmonarius, P. populinus, and P. dryinus. There's also P. levis (which may actually be the same as P. dryinus). The first three species mentioned are easily confused. All of these are edible. Not sure how odor correlates with species, or if it even does. But, in my experience P. pulmonarius is less fragrant than P. ostreatus or P. populinus. 

Hey Y'all! First off, Merry Christmas! (and a happy new year if i don't get a chance to say that before then!) I just wanted report back on these oysters! I had stripped them and left them in the fridge until now. I got them out this morning and they were pretty dry but those in the middle were still moist.(In a brown paper bag). 

Instead of strting them with a dry pay to get the moisture out i put them directly into an oiled pan along with fresh garlc from the garden. Once they were looking cooked I added leeks from the garden and salt and pepper. I continued cooking them on a med-low heat until the leeks were starting to be translucent. Pulled them off the heat and they are wonderful! Much better than I have ever given Oysters the credit for. 

Yah, I should have went back and got some more!

Wade