harrygreco

Harrygreco

Novice - id help needed

Collected these now (late November) in greece, still early autumn. Found in a small group in a field in Kefalonia island. Around the field there are mature oak trees. They were growing out of a vulva but there is no identifiable ring.

Having spent hours on the net, i suspect they are porcini family. But also read not easy to distinguish from deadly species. I am pondering for two days a shame to throw away but high risk if not 100% certain.

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_20191124_111157.jpg

IMG_20191124_111130.jpg

The smaller mushrooms seen in the photo are shaped like young Agaricus mushrooms. The larger mushroom shows gills that would be very pale for a mature Agaricus mushroom. Also, I can't quite tell from the photo, but it looks like gills may have been attached to the stalk before possibly being broken away from the stalk. Not sure what you mean by "growing out of a vulva". I see no evidence of a volva in the photos. However, the base of the stalk on the larger one is missing, so if there was a basal volva it's not seen in the photo. One of the smaller mushrooms is seen to have a partial veil. 

I think the smaller (short/compact) mushrooms are a type of Agaricus. Not sure what to say about the larger one. Need to see the base of the stalk. Also, need to see the gills on a specimen with a stalk that hasn't been broken away from the cap. Maybe a type of Agaricus that that has unusually pale gills (at maturity)? I don't know of any North American Agaricus species like this. Other possibilities genera include Leucoagaricus, Amanita (white spore prints), or perhaps Pluteus (pink spore print). Agaricus mushrooms have brown spore print. 

There are no porcini in any of these photos. Porcini is a type of mushroom that has pores rather than gills on the underside of the cap.

Thanks Dave. I have no pic from the larger mushrooms without the stem detached, the stems come off very easily. However I am sure I pulled these off a volva. The gills were whiter when collected, now more pinkish.

I attach some more pics of the smaller mushrooms. I thought these had a volva too but I am now not entirely sure. A white flour comes off their gills.

Since all were found together in a group, I assumed they are all same species at different levels of maturity. You are saying they COULD be different?

I also consulted a reference book on greek mushrooms. The closest match i could find is Amarita strobiliformis. Would you agree?

IMG_20191124_224018.jpg

IMG_20191124_223956.jpg

IMG_20191124_223922.jpg

Amanita strobiloformis has warts on the cap surface. The caps seen here seem rather smooth. But, one thing that comes to my mind is section Lepidella of genus Amanita (of which A. strobiloformis is one species). The pale gills and material clinging to the cap margin are features associated with these types mushrooms. Spore print color would help here. Some Lepidella mushrooms are dangerously poisonous. 

The small ones may very well be the same species as the large ones. Features change as mushroom matures. Not confident one way or the other though. This is likely a species (or two species) I have not ever examined first hand. I'd need to do some analysis --including microscopy-- to get a better understanding here.