This one has me stumped

flipjargendy

I picked up the National Audubon Society's field guide thinking I'd be able to identify most of what I come across. Well, here is a pretty plain one that has me stumped. I've looked on line but not sure. As soon as I find one I think it is, there is one description that throws that out the window. Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. At least I'll have some direction on doing more research... here is some necessary info.

• STEM: White/cream and is solid.
  • GILLS: Attached (barely?)
  • SPORES: White
  • CAP: Brown center to light brown on edges.
  • SMELL: A good smelling mushroom smell.
  • GROWING on ground in grass in back yard... our yard is engulfed in the woods. (Mainly Ash and Oak trees) They are growning near a large stump of an ash we cut down last year.

They are not growing in any particular pattern. Some of them grow in clusters while others are growing all alone. They are all growing in about a 20ft radius. I noticed one had matured and was dropping spores like crazy. It was all smashed but you could tell where it was. It appeared an animal had pulled it up and moved it about a foot away from where it fruited.

post-335-0-83104700-1377369540_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-87278200-1377369551_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-89149300-1377369560_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-00039600-1377369570_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-05365900-1377369580_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-07288200-1377369588_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-28242900-1377369596_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-18728300-1377369606_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-84034000-1377369614_thumb.jpg

Most of what I see here looks like Armillaria, Honey Mushroom... EXCEPT for the FIRST photo. A few of these are almost definitely not Honeys. In fact, I think there may be as many as three species in the first photo. The ones with the white gills that are attached to the stalk by a notch, and which lack the partial veil (cottony covering over the gills when young that forms a ring on the stalk) look like a type of Tricholoma. Some of the brown Tricholomas are sickeners. Also, there appears to be a couple mushrooms in the first photo that have dark-colored gills. Honey Mushrooms have gills that are broadly attached to the stalk, sometimes slightly decurrent (running down the stalk). The gill color begins as creamy white with mature gills being yellowish. Armillaria gills often develop reddish-brown spots. Rarely the gills darken.

Armillaria mushrooms grow directly on wood or from buried wood. They grow in clusters, groups, or singly. Honey mushrooms represent a complex of species within the genus Armillaria. Research mycologist Tom Volk has identified over 17 species, many of which are difficult to tell apart. Honey mushrooms are popular edibles, but should be well-cooked. Even then, some folks are allergic to them, and may get pretty sick from a meal. I par-boil all of my Honeys before preparing for a meal. They tend to be a bit slimy, so I saute/stew for at least 20 minutes (after the 5-8 minute par boil). Here in Northeast PA, Honeys are the most popular wild mushroom, where they are called "po-pink'-ees". Because they occur in large quantities, which invites rapid collecting, one needs to be very careful to harvest ONLY Honeys. It's easy to mistakenly toss a Tricholoma, Inocybe, or even an Amanita into the basket.