Gilled mushroom ID?

Nick

I just saw this fresh fruiting in a grass pile area of my yard that has yielded a suprising amount of fungi.

They were growing in the same general area of a cluster of mushrooms that I had posted about earlier, though they appear to be a different kind of mushroom. (

) Maybe this could be of some significance or help somehow, I don't know. 

The mushroom has a very smooth and firm cap texture. The cap is dark where it curls on the underside to meet the gills. 

It smells like a "normal" mushroom (like a portabello or something i guess) It is quite strong.

The underside has gills that don't appear to be decurrent, they sorta stop a little bit away from the stipe on the younger ones. The gills are a light tan. 

To my knowledge no bruising has occurred.

It was growing in the leaf litter/dirt, (I took a picture of the stipes post harvest) 

Spore print coming soon.

IMG_8871.PNG

IMG_8872.PNG

IMG_8873.PNG

IMG_8874.PNG

IMG_8878.PNG

IMG_8877.PNG

IMG_8876.PNG

3 hours ago, Dig said:

They look very similar to me.

I think so too, but the ones I just picked do have striking differences aswell, It could be a different genus, or maybe they were at different stages of growth?

For the older collection of mushrooms deemed "similar"... I think those are Lepista subconnexa.

The mushrooms newly posted look like Lepista nuda. Same genus, so they are possibly similar (same genus). Differences include... L. nuda generally has a lighter-colored spore print (pale fleshy-pinkish); L. nuda has a more pleasant odor; L. subconnexa has a somewhat unpleasant metallic taste; although L. nuda can grow in tight-knit groups it is less likely to grow in fused clusters than is L. subconnexa. 

16 hours ago, Dave W said:

For the older collection of mushrooms deemed "similar"... I think those are Lepista subconnexa.

The mushrooms newly posted look like Lepista nuda. Same genus, so they are possibly similar (same genus). Differences include... L. nuda generally has a lighter-colored spore print (pale fleshy-pinkish); L. nuda has a more pleasant odor; L. subconnexa has a somewhat unpleasant metallic taste; although L. nuda can grow in tight-knit groups it is less likely to grow in fused clusters than is L. subconnexa. 

Judging by the spore print here along with your description I would say that you are right, however, when I google Lepista nuda most of the pictures show a mushroom that does not appear to look even close to this one here. Most of the pictured Clitocybe/Lepista Nuda appear to have a purple gill underside, The mushrooms that I have here have a tan gill underside. There are some pictures that do show a somewhat similar mushroom to this as well, So I don't know what to think. (Now I know that this is not a very strong method of identification or comparison but its just food for thought.) Part of me also wants to say that they almost certaintly aren't wood blewits, but again I am not a mushroom expert by any means here.  The new mushrooms (Lepista nuda) Do have a strong smell and the spore print appears to have a very slight pale-pink tinge, Though it probably wont show up in the picture.       Id like to add that the Old mushrooms (Lepista Subconnexa) Looks more like lepista panaeolus, but again im no expert and probably wrong. 

From my knowledge wood blewits are a decent edible

Are there any poisonous look alikes? How would I rule them out? 

IMG_8903.PNG

Lepista nuda changes color as it matures, and in some cases even young ones show little of the purple color generally reported for the species. Spore print color (latest photo) looks kinda dark for L. nuda. How would you describe the spore print color? 

Look-alikes for L. nuda... as previously mentioned L. subconnexa. Also, Lepista tarda, and a few other species of Lepista. Melanoleuca species have white spore prints. One important concern is genus Entoloma. At least some of these are poisonous; spore prints salmon-pink. Another is genus of presumably poisonous mushrooms is Hebeloma, light brown to pinkish-brown to orangish-brown spore prints. But perhaps the easiest potential confusion occurs with genus Cortinarius. The following three links show collections all made on the same day in similar habitat.    https://mushroomobserver.org/390056?q=11nn1,   https://mushroomobserver.org/390048?q=11nn1,    https://mushroomobserver.org/389981?q=11nn1  .

3 hours ago, Dave W said:

Lepista nuda changes color as it matures, and in some cases even young ones show little of the purple color generally reported for the species. Spore print color (latest photo) looks kinda dark for L. nuda. How would you describe the spore print color? 

Look-alikes for L. nuda... as previously mentioned L. subconnexa. Also, Lepista tarda, and a few other species of Lepista. Melanoleuca species have white spore prints. One important concern is genus Entoloma. At least some of these are poisonous; spore prints salmon-pink. Another is genus of presumably poisonous mushrooms is Hebeloma, light brown to pinkish-brown to orangish-brown spore prints. But perhaps the easiest potential confusion occurs with genus Cortinarius. The following three links show collections all made on the same day in similar habitat.    https://mushroomobserver.org/390056?q=11nn1,   https://mushroomobserver.org/390048?q=11nn1,    https://mushroomobserver.org/389981?q=11nn1  .

Thanks for the input. I would say that the spore print is a light-ish brown with very slight pinkish tinge. The only difference I see with the mushrooms that you have linked and the ones that I have is that the cap color seems to be different. The mushrooms that I have, have a sort of darker, roasted, look on some rims of the cap.     The spore print color probably is a tiny bit darker than it is, due to the picture quality, and because, like in the earlier mushroom post, I did the print on paper so some of it might have added moisture to the print. 

8 hours ago, Dave W said:

It's not unusual for Lepista nuda mushrooms to begin to dry out in-situ. When this happens the edges of the caps may darken and the cap surface takes on a somewhat leathery feel. Spore print description sounds right for Lepista. 

Ok, I'll stick with that then.  Thanks.