Pleurotus ostreatus on Coffee Grinds

Today I started my first oyster farm on coffee grinds. I am using spawn from Fungi Perfecti since I had a credit with them. I went to Starbucks yesterday and they handed over about 3 gallons of used coffee grinds that were already nice and wet and ready to go. So, today I followed all the directions and washed a brand new 5 gal. bucket after drilling holes in the bottom for drainage, also drilled holes above the substrate to release CO2 once they start to grow. I filled the bucket about half full and crumbled in the spawn and mixed thoroughly through the bucket, patted it down firm but not too hard and covered with the plastic bag with holes to breath. Now we wait.

3D7_3909_zps23d37da1.jpg

The other thing I'm growing is Pleurotus djamor, the pink oyster. I started those yesterday. Photos to come once things get going.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results, too. I've seen them grown in coffee grounds in zip lock bags with slits for the mushrooms to grow through. (Maybe a picture of a kit for sale?) Anyway, it's so much fun to watch them grow -- almost like getting to be a kid again. :D

Wish I could see the pics at work. After cultivating various species several years ago, I haven't "grown" in a while. Coffee added to grain always enhanced the vegatative stage in jars. On another note, I have brought two branches off trees to my apartment ripe with oyster myc, and have had one flush of natural oysters just by watering them right beside my apartment step. :hungry:

• 1 month later...

Well, this has been quite an effort I must say! The second photo apparently was not what I was hoping for, but mold. I can't keep the inside of my house humid enough with the AC on for these guys, so I was really at a loss thinking the entire bucket was contaminated with mold and the whole thing had dried out and I was ready to toss it outside in my garden beds. I actually dumped it out and to my amazement, the entire circumference of the coffee grounds sides and bottom were completely colonized. So, I put it back in the bucket, took the whole thing into the bathtub and turned on the shower spray and watered it and let it drain. A day or so ago, I noticed growth coming from the sides (no holes in the sides unfortunately in the bucket except above the coffee level)

post-1-0-27949500-1381323903_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-03344900-1381324621_thumb.jpg post-1-0-45368100-1381324629_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-92678200-1381324636_thumb.jpg post-1-0-29168800-1381324645_thumb.jpg

So, here is my question, since this is all new to me. Rather than leaving this in the bucket since the top seems to still be contaminated and nothing is growing on top, would you think it would be a good idea to remove the entire thing from the bucket and put it into a big plastic bag with holes poked in it so they can grow out the sides? Do they need more light?

I've been putting the bucket outside at night since it is now getting a little cooler at night (upper 60's to around 73) and plenty humid. Only problem now is I have to drop everything and run up to DE/PA for family stuff I wasn't counting on. I'm going to have to bring it with me.

What are your thoughts with all this? I need all the help I can get.

Ladyflyfsh, I just ran across this article (with lots of pictures) of growing oyster mushrooms in a laundry basket. All of the mushrooms are growing out the side.

My guess would be that the bucket doesn't allow enough air to reach the coffee grounds.

Just an uneducated guess on my part, but check out these laundry basket photos, although these are being grown on straw, it appears.

http://milkwood.net/2012/08/12/growing-mushrooms-in-a-laundry-basket/

This is my favorite small-scale video on growing oysters in zip lock bags on coffee grounds and straw. No mess at all and would produce about the amount I could use.

I admire your tenacity in your project! :)

I'm going to remove the entire block and put in plastic outside in the shade now that it is finally starting to cool off. You are right. And the reason the primordia is all stragly is too much CO2. This will help getting it out of the bucket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...