ID this... Lactarius?

theplanets

Hi everyone. No one has tried to ID this in the groups yet. I'm at a loss.

It looks visually like Lactarius sp. but does not exude milk or latex.

Found in confir wood growing on dead pine. Grows on the dead wood or on the dead roots near the base. Not found more than 4 inches away from dead trunk.

Brown cappuccino coloured cap. Yellow gills, decurrent to stipe. White flesh. Young specimen is round flat to slight funnel shaped cap about 2" diameter. Mature is up to 5-6" with cap in irregular shapes and wavy edges. Stipe is thick, about thumb sized, and not longer than cap diameter. Fuzzy velvet "fur" covering most of the stipe. No bulb, no ring. Smells fresh and no special taste. Did not try too much of it.

post-369-0-09817300-1377193546_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-36633500-1377196540_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-78698300-1377196581_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-84510600-1377196605_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-01220300-1377196652_thumb.jpg

Paxillus atrotomentosus is my guess. However I'm not 100% on that although I feel pretty good about Paxillus as a Genus for this one. Check also Paxillus vernalis and involutus and see what you think. The conifer aspect makes me think it is P atrotomentosus. If the gills brown when bruised then it is more likely one of the other Paxillus I mentioned. These would be my first guess anyway.

Spore print color would go a long way here. White print -> Lactarius. Brown print -> Paxillus. I would expect Paxillus atrotomentosus to show more yellow/brown on the gills. Even in the seeming absence of latex, it's difficult to rule out the Lactarius lignyotus group, or a few other milky looks-alikes. Latex can be scant, especially if the specimen is old and ot the weather has been dry/hot. To become more confident about accepting/rejecting a Lactarius hypothesis, press the cut flesh (cap/gill cross-section) against your finger and then chech to see if any moisture has been left behind. Or press against a piece of paper and look for wetness.

Having mentioned all of this, I'd still bet $7.50 this is an example of P. atrotomentosus. Although mycorrhizal mushrooms such as Russula or Lacarius can sometines fruit from downed decaying wood, growth on conifer wood lends a lot fo support to the P. atrotomentosus proposal.

Lactarius lignyotus has a velvety stem and cap. I think you've got Paxillus atrotomentosus here.

Roody lists the spore print color of P. atrotomentosus as "yellowish to brownish." There are Lactarius types that have yellow spore print. But I suspect that, if you get a good thick print from Paxillus atrotomentosus, then it will be darker than any Lactarius print. I don't recall ever printing P. atrotomentosus. So now I'm kinda motivated to find a few of these and observe the print.

• 2 weeks later...