Might be late fall oyster

Harold40

I remember one time as a kid myself and maybe 10 other kids were tobogganing down a long steep hill at the top of the hill were 3 wolves watching us for over an hour just sitting there not threatening us. One of the boys mother had come over to see how we were and saw the wolves and made us all leave we told her they were no threat but being a mother gave us no choice we had to go home.  Never saw them again they were impressive and even after seeing them for a brief moment I could understand some stories my native friends had told me of the majestic wolf.

During the 1960s the Eastern Coyote --a hybrid coyote/wolf species-- entered the far NE corner of Pennsylvania from the Catskill Mountains of NY. In the area where I grew up --Wilkes-Barre PA-- neither coyotes nor wolves were known from our woods prior to the '70s (during my lifetime). Not sure about the year, but it was around 1975 when a friend and I were camping in a remote area of Sullivan County, PA (50+ miles west of the Poconos). One night we had a piece of beef roasting over campfire coals when we heard howling noises in the distance. The sound quickly closed in on our campsite. It was a pack of "wild dogs". They got close enough for us to hear them snarling and pawing the ground. We got the campfire roaring high and made a lot of noise, which drove them away. Nobody seemed to believe that we had such an encounter until about a month later a coyote was shot and killed on a farm maybe 25 miles from where I had been camping. Aside from this incident I have not ever had a notable encounter with coyotes, although there are now lots of them in our woodland areas. 

Coyotes 1 or 2 are cowards but a pack can be maybe aggressive to people but seldom attack in my experience. I  have unarmed chased them but they always outrun me Haha I don't like them near my barn. BTW the red belted Polypore grows on coniferous & deciduous 

4 hours ago, Harold40 said:

Coyotes 1 or 2 are cowards but a pack can be maybe aggressive to people but seldom attack in my experience. I  have unarmed chased them but they always outrun me Haha I don't like them near my barn. BTW the red belted Polypore grows on coniferous & deciduous 

I see that Mushroom Expert says --in addition to coniferous wood-- F. pinicola can be found on hardwood (birch, aspen). I have also found what I believe to be Ganoderma tsugae on birch  https://mushroomobserver.org/175793?q=11Cxm .