Purple Mushroom

Sunny_0ne

I found this mushroom today growing on a rotted stick on the ground in deep mixed woods. (NW GA)

All of my mushroom books are stowed in the camper so I've been trying to identify this one on the net.

It was a very small mushroom, maybe 1-1/2 inches across the cap. I didn't see a ring. The gills turned gray after being inside the house for several hours. I've been unable to get a spore print.

I'm guessing it is probably a cortinarius but since I can't get a spore print, I can't be sure.

A drop of ammonia on the cap has no color change. A drop on the cap's flesh turns it gray. (Thanks for suggesting that test, jmw.)

Sorry this is a bit fuzzy.

post-316-0-38011500-1377140856_thumb.jpg

Right after picking

post-316-0-53302700-1377140913_thumb.jpg

Cross section

post-316-0-06759900-1377140957_thumb.jpg

Gills darkened after mushroom brought inside

post-316-0-06763200-1377140996_thumb.jpg

I noticed there was kind of spider web looking stuff around the edges of the gills. It's a lot more visible in the higher resolution version of that photo.

I checked out C. iodes. It looks like that's it.

Thanks to you, jmw and ladyflyfsh, for helping me discover this cute little guy's name!

Theer is a southern NA species that looks just like Cortinarius iodes, except it isn't :eyebrow: . The name is Cortinarius iodiodes (not kidding), which means "looks like Cortinarius iodes." The difference between the two species is strictly academic. I'd bet $20 on the ones in this thread being C. iodes or C. iodiodes.

I was feeling SO smart... thinking I had this one DEFINITELY pinned to Cortinarius iodes. Then the "looks like Cortinarius iodes" imposter popped up!

Maddening... but I love it! But I'm really glad I'm just a hobbyist whose livelihood doesn't depend on getting it 100%! :D