Late Season Oysters (Picture Heavy)

Foulhook

Took a back road drive with the kids today. Spotted these guys along the way. Fortunately I had my Nikon for taking some fall pics. Also thankfully I had the truck to I was able to back up and stand on the tailgate to reach these. 

I have actually never found oysters until today so I am just making sure my ID is correct. Harvested probably 9 pounds of them and left 4-5 pounds as well as a bunch of new tiny blooms you can see in the pictures. Looks like a second bloom since you can see a deteriorated past bloom surrounding these

So what say the pros here? Cook em up?? !! Any good Recipe suggestions?? 

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

Sorry about the couple that didn't reformat for proper rotation 

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Also does anyone have a recommendation for Storing? I have a good dehydrator but wonder how these re-hydrate. How long will some keep in the fridge? 

thumbnail_IMG_7209.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7212.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7213.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7214.jpg

Thanks guys! 

I was 99% sure but always best to run it past the crew here. 

they smell fantastic. Wonderful anise/apricot scent. I left what will most likely turn into another 10lbs or so. Was a wonderful sight when I had pretty much considered the season over and was bummed about it! 

It was a beautiful day in the woods. I think I just might spend all day tomorrow on the back country as well 🙂 

The oysters you found are very common in my area between lake ontario & lake Erie. A fantastic way to cook them almost med heat in a frying pan. Beat a couple eggs (no milk or cream) salt & pepper cut the full stem 1/4"  thick pieces however the main flat part of the oyster cut 1 to 2 inches wide up to the stem. Dip the oyster cuts into the egg then roll into "honey brand crumbs" toss into the hot pan, your friends will call you a god.

Looks like the classic Pleurotus ostreatus... Oyster Mushrooms. They are a versatile edible. I make a milk-based chowder type soup that combines Oyster Mushrooms and bay scallops. Instead of slicing Oyster Mushrooms across the grain, I prefer to tear them along the grain into strips. 

Not that it really matters in terms of edibility... P. ostreatus can be distinguished from the other species of Pleurotus by the pale smoky grayish/lavender spore print.