Gorgeous Red Boletus frostii, I think

Sunny_0ne

I found this gorgeous mushroom in our N. GA woods this afternoon. They were growing under mixed hardwoods. I've seen them before, but never really investigated them.

I'm still waiting for a spore print, but my tentative ID is that this is probably a Frost's bolete. Although all the descriptions say it stains blue, but this one didn't turn as blue as I expected.

post-316-0-98784600-1377128409_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-68974900-1377128459_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-73215500-1377128507_thumb.jpg

Looks like B. frostii. No staining is kind of strange. If you have ammonia try a drop on the cap and flesh and see what happens. Should be no change on the cap and on the flesh it should turn grey or yellow if it is indeed B. frostii.

jmw, I just put a drop of ammonia on the cap and on the flesh of the cut stalk.

There was no change on the cap.

The stalk flesh darkened a little -- not sure if it was gray. But a ring formed around the outside of the drop of ammonia that was originally a green-blue which faded to dark grey.

Hope that helps.

B. frostii on ammonia test should have a neutral reaction on the cap and grey to yellow reaction on the flesh. If your reaction on the cap was neutral and the reaction on the stalk flesh was grey then I would say it is a good sign for B. frostii. I know that some boletes which are supposed to be stainers will sometimes not stain or stain less. Maybe Mr. Bolete aka Dave can weigh in here... :)

Blank spore prints happen sometimes and I am not completely sure why. My opinion, and that is all it is, is that sometimes we are trying to spore print a specimen that is not mature enough to drop spores or maybe has already dropped nearly all the spores in older specimens. Maybe Lady or somebody could explain that too both of us.

Georgeous Boletus frostii it is! A very distinctive mushroom species. Even though I have never found one of these --I have seen a few at organized forays-- I would still bet $20 (my limit) on the B. frostii ID.

The reticulation on this one seems a bit "disorganized" and non-distinct near the stipe apex. But that bright red cap color, maroon pores, and coarsely reticulate reddish stalk are definitive. Mushroom Expert mentions the yellow droplets on the pore surface.