What kind of mushroom is this?

Nick

I am very new to mushroom hunting, I found these mushrooms growing in my yard, They were growing in a big cluster, They are tan-ish light brown and have gills that are like soft folds that arent very fragile when i run my finger over them, the gill runs down and meets the stalk, they were growing in a pile of dead grass and dirt from my lawn, I have a hunch that they might be Chanterelles or Honey mushrooms, but I came here to clarify. 

IMG_8656.PNG

IMG_8655.PNG

IMG_8654.PNG

5 hours ago, Dave W said:

Seeing the underside directly --so that gill attachment to the stalk may be assessed-- would help. Also, spore print color would be useful. 

The gills seem to run onto the stalk, I tried to get a spore print with it overnight in the fridge on a peice of paper, but I didnt get much, I think whats on it is mainly dirt and ants.  Hope this helps.

IMG_8662.PNG

IMG_8661.PNG

Edited by Nick

Actually, if too much moisture is retained while attempting to print a mushroom then the material may begin to rot before a decent print may be viewed. I suggest placing the collection surface atop a slightly elevated surface and placing an inverted cup/glass over the mushroom in such a way that the cup/glass straddles to edge of the elevated surface. Allowing for some air exchange out/in the bottom of the glass helps keep humidity levels low enough to slow down decomposition.

Mushrooms stored in the fridge are apt to not drop any spores. 

22 hours ago, Dig said:

I would suggest room temperature for spore prints vs the fridge.  Also place a glass bowl or similar on top to help retain moisture.

Here is the spore print, It appears to be a light brown color.

IMG_8695.PNG

I was thinking maybe Clitocybe/Lepista subconnexa for these mushrooms. But this species has a pinkish spore print, and the spore print pictured appears to be tinged grayish. However, the photo may not have accurately captured the spore print color. Color reported is "light brown", which is not that far off from pinkish... so I'm wondering... Another point; a spore print taken on paper can look different than if collected on a hard non-absorbent surface. This is because moisture in the mushroom may be drawn out by paper and stain/darken the print.

So, my best guess here is... these mushrooms are post-mature specimens of Clitocybe/Lepista subconnexa. 

Nick, if you want to go through the trouble of collecting a sample of the spores onto a piece of wax paper and then mailing this to me, I'll have a look through my microscope and maybe we can get a little closer to a confident ID. 

5 hours ago, Dave W said:

I was thinking maybe Clitocybe/Lepista subconnexa for these mushrooms. But this species has a pinkish spore print, and the spore print pictured appears to be tinged grayish. However, the photo may not have accurately captured the spore print color. Color reported is "light brown", which is not that far off from pinkish... so I'm wondering... Another point; a spore print taken on paper can look different than if collected on a hard non-absorbent surface. This is because moisture in the mushroom may be drawn out by paper and stain/darken the print.

So, my best guess here is... these mushrooms are post-mature specimens of Clitocybe/Lepista subconnexa. 

Nick, if you want to go through the trouble of collecting a sample of the spores onto a piece of wax paper and then mailing this to me, I'll have a look through my microscope and maybe we can get a little closer to a confident ID. 

I dont think Im going to go through the trouble of mailing it to you, just because this one doesn't seem like a choice edible or anything, but I could take a spore print on a piece of aluminum foil if that would result in a differing color.