Gilled Polypore?

jmw

Not sure what to call this one. My only guess so far is that it is a gilled polypore. The gill like structures are not quite perfect and seem to form an abstract kind of maze. Spore print was inconclusive after 24 hours. Found on a mostly decompossed log in Coastal NC. The log may be a sweet gum or oak, but due to decay it is not certain. The specimen smells sweet and almost fruit like. The flesh is tan to brown and rubbery in some parts and corky in others. It was growing with multiple others just like it on the log.

post-488-0-28314500-1376955753_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-82682100-1376955782_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-58749700-1376955812_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen anything like it before. Gilled polypore was my guess but after a lot of research I was coming to the conclusion that polypore is wrong. Glad you mentioned Lentinellus Dave I will look into it. I do not remember the gills being serrated, but it is possible that the serration was small and not noticed.

Dave I did a good bit of research on Lentinellus and I think you are right I just have not been able to pin this one down so far. The feature that really stands out the most to me is the smell of the specimen. That sweet fruit like smell. The one Lentinellus I can find that may work for the scent does not look completely wrong in photos, but it sure isn't a dead ringer. That one is Lentinellus cochleatus it is supposed to have an anis scent. Sweet anis would be pretty close to the specimen. Going to keep looking though.