Some type of late season Bolete?

Shroombie

These have been growing on the lawn right beside where I park at work.

The last few days we've had rain and they really increased in size.

Brown mottled cap. Not at all slimy. When it was dry it was even a slight bit leathery feeling. Bright yellow pores, which now have darkened slightly.

No veil that I can see but they are all mature.

Some are a good 6-8 inches across the top of the cap. Growing in clusters under pines on a lawn beside a parking lot in upstate NY.

418847332_IMG_20191028_1340321.thumb.jpg.e10ce29b3df9572207d2e17b4f516e29.jpg206682306_IMG_20191028_1340471.thumb.jpg.70885c25a15aec1520a97bc55b9a59ed.jpg

Cut in half. 

Light pale yellow inside. Pores about 1/4 inch deep.

898453160_IMG_20191028_1345291.thumb.jpg.a02eda756539edac1f16c6cb0b843871.jpg

Forgot to get a picture of the bottom side of a full mushroom but here is the bottom of the halves from the one I cut.

As I said there were much brighter yellow a few days ago but now following several days of steady raid they have increased in size and the yellow has browned.

2059215613_IMG_20191028_1400241.thumb.jpg.3387630121b2def6d836a7b548ab69d5.jpg

Sorry that the last 2 are a bit blurry.

I put my tongue against the flesh and got immediate bitter taste and my tongue went a bit numb.

Still feel it. So I'm thinking not edible.

Smell is slightly loamy but not real strong.

I'm doing a spore print now inside my desk drawer.

I'll grab a better specimen when I leave and try to get some better close up pics later.

Idears?

Not Gyrodon... pores are too small. Also extremely bitter taste does not fit Gyrodon. 

Looks like pine needles in the vicinity. I'd suggest considering genus Suillus, except the very bitter taste is not typical for Suillus mushrooms. 

The bitter doesn't fit Suillus and also it is not in any way slimy. Not even slightly.

It is growing under what I would guess are Eastern White pine which is consistent with Suillus.

So who knows.

I have a few more pics of a better example.

Spore print is rust brown.

94471061_IMG_20191029_0608511.thumb.jpg.fad8924a13f87219e38e4cb8914721b5.jpg

Here's some better ones of the stem and pores. 
Also it does not stain any color when cut. As you can see in the pic I cut it in one place and it remained exactly the same color. No blue. This is many hours after cutting it.

1191240292_IMG_20191029_0607441.thumb.jpg.039c9f94da2ec2c38a6bed5006230cc0.jpg

1610604755_IMG_20191029_0608051.thumb.jpg.ca5020d5ce9104e7678408898a7b607f.jpg

I'm going to guess Suillus Luteus and chalk up the bitter thing to subjective experience. Maybe it's not as bitter as I thought. Althought I'd expect them to be more slimy.

I'm not going to eat them in any event. Even it they are edible. They are right there one the grass next to the parking lot. I generally wouldn't eat anything I find in any such environment. Who knows what they might spray around on the lawn at any point.

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually I walked out to the parking lot and examined a bunch more and found that the ones growing in groups did have some slime where they were touching. I ended up with it all over my fingers. Sticky more than slimy. Suillus Luteus probably. 

Not Suillus luteus --which features a prominent partial veil. But possibly some other species of Suillus. Not all Suillus are slimy. Spore print appears to have a reddish tint, which supports a Suillus proposal. 

Another genus to consider is Chalciporus. 

39 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Not Suillus luteus --which features a prominent partial veil. But possibly some other species of Suillus. Not all Suillus are slimy. Spore print appears to have a reddish tint, which supports a Suillus proposal. 

Another genus to consider is Chalciporus. 

I think the stem is too short. Chalciporus seems to have a longer stem. These are very squat. You have to lift the cap to get your fingers under it.

I did see that some of the smaller ones do have a veil. Some were partially attached still. So apparently once it gets older there isn't an obvious ring. But does have a veil when young. Sorry that the info is coming in a bit at a time. I've only had time on passing to look there over till this morning. I actually came in early to check them out more thoroughly.

Of course it's always possible that there is more than one type of Suillus  that look more or less identical at a casual glance.

Definitely one or several of the many types of Suillus

AHA!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suillus_brevipes

I'm in Albany County.

The species was first described scientifically as Boletus viscosus by American mycologist Charles Frost in 1874. In 1885, Charles Horton Peck, who had found specimens in pine woods of Albany County, New York, explained that the species name was a taxonomic homonym (Boletus viscosus was already in use for another species named by Ventenat in 1863[2]), and so renamed it to Boletus brevipes.[3][4] Its current name was assigned by German Otto Kuntze in 1898.[5] William Alphonso Murrill renamed it as Rostkovites brevipes in 1948;[6] the genus Rostkovites is now considered to be synonymous with Suillus.[7]

The picture on that wiki page does look correct.

1024px-Suillus_brevipes_44419.jpg

More images here

http://www.sitkanature.org/gallery/nggallery/tags/suillus-brevipes

20080916-suillus_brevipes-2.jpg

20080916-suillus_brevipes-3.jpg

Maybe Suillus brevipes (for the ones with no partial veil). For ones with partial veil, I'd consider S. intermedius. 

Length of stem can vary for many different species. But, S. brevipes always has a short stem.

Even slimy Suillus mushrooms can become less slimy as they dry out in-situ. S. intermedius is a slimy-capped type that becomes tacky-capped as it ages. 

I agree that these types of Suillus are not worth the trouble required to render them edible. But, some folks like to cold-marinate or pickle them. 

57 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Maybe Suillus brevipes (for the ones with no partial veil). For ones with partial veil, I'd consider S. intermedius. 

Length of stem can vary for many different species. But, S. brevipes always has a short stem.

Even slimy Suillus mushrooms can become less slimy as they dry out in-situ. S. intermedius is a slimy-capped type that becomes tacky-capped as it ages. 

I agree that these types of Suillus are not worth the trouble required to render them edible. But, some folks like to cold-marinate or pickle them. 

Yeah actually after wrestling with several of them peeling and scraping out the caps I take back any claims of lacking slime. My fingers attest to how wrong I was.

Black nasty glue!

I'll have to look at the cold marinate thing.

I had wondered about par boiling to get rid of the funk as well but all said and done I think I'll just ignore them in future.